Transom: Bevel the Bottom?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Transom: Bevel the Bottom?

Postby jwv630 on Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:39 pm

Getting ready to install the transom here. The manual indicates on pp. 64-65 that the 2 vertical sides of the transom need to be beveled to align with the hull side panels - makes sense.

Do you recommend that the BOTTOM of the transom be beveled also to conform better with the bottom panels/keelson?? It looks like the cutting angle would be about 15 degrees.

Thanks and good luck,
Jimmy Vitale
jwv630

Re: Transom: Bevel the Bottom?

Postby JonLee on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:38 pm

Yup, definitely.
JonLee

Postby truenorth on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:54 am

I don't remember the actual process to get the transom to spec. In reviewing my blog, I don't have a specific write up except in passing. That tells me it wasn't a total disaster. In any case, definitely bevel all sides but the top. I wouldn't go too crazy as it will need to conform to the shape of your hull. Like any woodworking, it's easier to take more off than it is to put more on. I do remember using a paint can to support the base of the transom as I fit it. Meaning, I put something to rest the transom upon as I incrementally beveled the sides. My beveler of choice is 60 grit sandpaper on a random orbital sander.
truenorth

Postby craig on Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:16 am

There isn't that much to bevel, really. Which is good because I beveled the wrong side! I was completely astonished: I had lined it up, marked notes, trial fits, and then when I put the transom back into the boat it was completely backwards. So I just sanded it down to roughly flat and just went with it as-is, filling any gaps with silica/wood flour epoxy. Definitely a defeat for me. Hope you have better luck.
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby truenorth on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:42 am

Craig's post reminded me about how I did it. I rested the transom on a paint can, held the top of it, and sanded down where needed. I then dry fit it back and forth until it sit correctly on the bilge panels. The "point" of the transom was the trickiest as that had to sit on the keelson, dead center. Overall, though, It was one of the few things that went without a problem in those days. The reason I did it that way was to avoid taking it down to the basement and back multiple times, but I think even with a shop with room, I'd still have done it that way.

Note, too, that the panels should take the shape of the transom, not the other way around. You'll notice that the bilge panels will force out and down; the side panels will flare a bit. This is important. If you take too much off, you'll have a narrower and shallower transom. A little bit is OK but take too much off and it'll affect the shape of the aft part of the boat!
truenorth

Postby jwv630 on Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:16 pm

Jon/True/Craig:

Good advice and thanks. Will hit it tonight. Craig, I was laughing with you on the mishap; been there.....Thanks again.

Jimmy V
jwv630

Postby John in CC on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:31 pm

I beveled the sides backwards. It was an easy fix. I flipped the transom around. Only problem was the best side was now on the inside... :oops:
John in CC

Return to PocketShip Forum