PocketShip Cruising Club

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

PocketShip Cruising Club

Postby peaze on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:19 pm

Hello Pocketship builders and owners,

I would like to invite you to join in this idea: to establish an online PocketShip Cruising Club. I have an overall frame concept to start with but the simple title says it all, I hope. What a jump start! Then, back on a real world I shall suggest few steps for we to discuss, agree, add suggestions and move on.

1 - The simple the better, no much philosophy, let´s remember the US Constitution with its 7 articles only; by the way, The Independence Day could be a good date for the official inauguration milestone;

2 - The purpose is to maximize the value for our unique way of boating, the value of each one PocketShip home built, and/or sold to second pride owners, the heritage and, in the event of any dramatic economy scenario, that the PocketShip Cruising Club keeps on burning at least a tiny original flame that motivated each one of us, in particular, to face the brave child´s desire to build a PocketShip;

3 - First phase, no dead line, access only for PocketShip owners of plans, kits and of course with a PocketShip building in progress (jubilees included) or on the water, ok, on a cradle at the driveway. Second phase, tbd;

4 - Down the water few miles ahead we can address issues like logomarca, future merchandising, and more important near future activities open for your suggestions; I suggest to pin up on a calendar a rally in the Bahamas, Bimini, Key West or on any other potentially feasible water mirror where PocketShip Cruising Club members can gathering just for fun moored or beached gunwales to gunwales, I can see dozen of us doing this every other year... Yes, some among us talented enough to entertain an audience could speak, we can invite pro or tattlers to entertain us (about boating & boat building), John Harris has a free token ok :lol:

Ball is in your court, fellows. Thank you.

PS: in attached a pic from my pocket building in progress, started Oct 13th, fillet phase on going... the pic is taken through the indoor window of my office (cave).
Mypocket building in progress.jpg
Mypocket building in progress.jpg (111.76 KiB) Viewed 4190 times
peaze

Re: PocketShip Cruising Club

Postby peaze on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:43 am

Hi at all
my wife suggeded I should apologise for my bad second language English
what would be of me without my first mate and more frequently Admiral onboard my life
I am sorry ladies and gentlemen for all my gram and spell mistakes
any copydesk voluntary is welcome

In the meantime I am looking forward your interaction with my post

Once again thank you for your condideration
peaze

Postby Bflat on Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:14 am

Certainly, no apology is needed from you.
I'm embarrassed that I can only speak one language.

Along the lines of your idea I've sometimes thought it might be fun to have a thread on here where we can discuss more esoteric and emotional pocketship subjects.

For instance, half way through my build, I'm struck with the fact that the boat is built from the inside to out.

What about the feelings of certain "milestones" - like the first paint, the floorboards, the "flip" and etc..?

Similarly, I've found that the build is taking more time than I imagined, but that I'm enjoying it immensely. I find myself day dreaming about it a lot and fantasizing about its launch party.
Choosing a name is a whole other fun process. What about color schemes? Then, there are the mistakes, pitfalls, learning curves - I'm thinking stuff like that would be worthy of discussion

But, back to your idea - Have you taken a look at the "meet ups" the builders of Welsford's design, the "Scamp" are having? It's a popular design. I think when enough Pocketships are built such a meet up would be great fun.

Bob
Bflat

Postby peaze on Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:52 pm

Thank you Bob
Definitely absolutely a virtual couch must be a must in our club but this facility as several others, the way I see it, would gravitate randomicaly while we "the members" would be trying to focus on cruising matters - - where to go, where one went, what happen, how, how much, when, why, dig it?

On a paralell level, builders in progress could interact, ask questions, get real world perspective and now/here comes your suggested issues and of course not only for builders

Yes I know about the other guys meet ups but hey we dont need to wait numbers to grow.
let's aim for Quality Figures.

Once again thank you

<<sent from my small iphone and even smaller keypad during a break between fillet sessooms>>
peaze

Postby herbt on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:35 pm

I think it is a good idea. It would give us all a way to show off our work and give us a reason to get out on the water. If all goes well I will be bringing my pocketship to next years CLC Okoume fest. I also plan on bringing it to some wooden boat shows in or around North Carolina.
You would have to vary the locations to make it convenient for members in different locations.

Herb
herbt

Postby peaze on Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:15 pm

Exactly Herb
thats the genuine vocation of the PockeShip Cruising Club the way I see it.
It doesn't mean of course other competing features have no room to exist

I see many actually like a trade corner where to barter, sell, buy parts, materials left overs, etc including THE PS when one of us get to this point...

This good forum here can benefit the PS Club but the Club covers matters at large within several spheres...
The forum apart from pertainig to a private party has a specific purpose and shall remain as such and, as they say across north Atlantic, that the Forum have a long life... Now, the platform would be virtual, online per say, but the meet ups are part of THE vocation, preferably at an ancorage or pier.

I am building the idea with the support of my wife, and that says a lot, to make a single handed passage from Rio to US on a PocketShip especially built for such venture. Few things adapted though it would be a real PocketShip... I will let the club members know more about it later as things develop... Right now I have my hands full of resin :-)

Looking forward to see more interactions. Thanks
peaze

Return to PocketShip Forum