"Titania" launched, but not very far

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

"Titania" launched, but not very far

Postby craig on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:55 pm

Two friends accompanied me to the lake yesterday for the "pre-launch" trial run of my Pocketship "Titania". Sadly the lake levels were really low and the dock was high-and-dry, and the ramp ended before the boat was floating. It was only afterwards I remembered I could tilt the trailer - darn. Anyway, we drove to two other ramps and finally got lucky on the third try. Dunked the boat just enough to float it off the trailer and I clambered aboard. My mates weren't adventurous enough to get their feet wet to climb aboard, so after all that all we could do was pack up and head home.

As far as a trial-run, though, the trip was very successful. I learned how to drive a trailer forwards and backwards, and have a ton of little adjustments to make on the boat configuration (besides finishing the paint job and other details). Also taught my friend how to tie a reef knot, though sadly not before she had already tied a few "knots" that we forgot to retie. As a result, I've gifted Neptune an early Christmas present: a sail track car.

And the most terrifying moment of the trip: driving back up the ramp. I am towing with a puny Civic and was a little scarred about pulling this beast of a boat. Plus, I've read that the most challenging part of towing a boat is driving up the ramp. So, ever mindful of rolling backwards into the lake, I put one foot on the brake, one foot on the gas, and slowly eased one off while gunning the other. ROOOAAAARRRRRR screamed the engine and WE DIDN'T MOVE AT ALL!!!! Oh no, not good, I'm stuck here, oh disaster, oh man, what do I do. OK, calm down, try again.

It worked better the second time with the car shifted into Drive.

Any good ideas for boarding without a dock? I need a rope ladder to hang over the side or something.

I'll post more pictures when I actually finish it. Here, I only put on enough hardware to raise the sail, and took it all off afterwards.

20141221_000352000_iOS.jpg
20141221_000352000_iOS.jpg (40.69 KiB) Viewed 7958 times
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Re: "Titania" launched, but not very far

Postby jwv630 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:36 am

Hi Craig:

Wow! Many congratulations; she's beautiful - and you look like the happiest guy in the world in the picture - which we all fully understand....

Good luck,
Jimmy V
jwv630

Postby peaze on Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:27 pm

Congrats Craig and I say that this is farthest enough for many people never been.
peaze

Postby JonLee on Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:41 pm

Exciting news!
JonLee

Postby herbt on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:33 pm

Very nice! Beautiful Job. Was not aware you were this far along. Feels good does it not?

Herb
herbt

Postby DanaDCole on Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:07 pm

Looks like one more beautiful boat to try and live up to.

What about one of those two or three-step aluminum ladders that hooks to either the gunwale or the transom? They have fold-out standoffs and I think the PS is definitely stable enough for one, especially at the transom. I have also been thinking about one that mounts permanently to the transom.

You might also take a look at the fold-out boarding step in one of Pete McCrary's posts, "A Reboarding Step . .".
Last edited by DanaDCole on Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanaDCole

Postby craig on Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:32 pm

Thanks for the congrats guys! It sure does feel great.
craig

Postby craig on Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:01 pm

Titania Launched! It's now officially to cold to do anything useful boatbuilding-wise in Tennessee, so Titania has been put away for the rest of the winter. I need to finish building my flush-hatches, another coat of paint in the cockpit, and varnish in cabin and rubrails, so just a few hours to go. So forgive the painter's tape in the picture, but I simply HAD to get it on the water. Construction started 3/16/14, so 10 months total (who knows how many hours). I was pleasantly surprised by how effective the homemade sails were, though since I was single-handing I couldn't find enough hands to properly fix the outhaul/throat/peak lines to get it set properly.

20150124_215348281_iOS.jpg
20150124_215348281_iOS.jpg (120.15 KiB) Viewed 7643 times

20150124_204134923_iOS.jpg
20150124_204134923_iOS.jpg (155.79 KiB) Viewed 7593 times
craig

Postby John in CC on Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:27 pm

Very nice! 10 months- that is fast. Hope to join you in a few months in the "complete club".
John in CC

Return to PocketShip Forum