Jiffy reefing on Pocketship

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Jiffy reefing on Pocketship

Postby craig on Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:08 pm

Hi all,

I spent the afternoon re-rigging Pocketship. Toping lift, new home-made roller furler, replacing some of my SS blocks with brass, etc. The wind started picking up and the trailer started really rocking with the main and jib out. I started having terrible visions of Pocketship tipped on her side and the mast snapped in two on my neighbor's roof. High time to install jiffy reefing. Source: http://www.catalina22experiment.com/hom ... ing-system

My changes:

The regular outhaul system is per the manual: a line dead-ended in an eyestrap at the end of the boom, then through the clew cringle, through a cheek block on the other side of the boom, then terminated at a jam cleat midway down the boom.

The jiffy reefing setup starts at an eye-strap on the same side of the boom as the cheek block. A new outhaul line runs up to the reef point cringle, then down to a new cheek block on the other side of the boom, then down the entire length of the boom to an eyestrap right at the gooseneck, then up to the reef point cringle, then down the other side of the sail to a cleat on the tabernacle. That last eyestrap should really be a cheek block, but I didn't have an extra one. To reef, lower the peak and throat halyards a bit, then tug really hard on the reefing line. Because I don't have that second cheek block, there is a lot of friction in the system, so I had to pull hard on the line running along the boom, and not just at the end of the line. Anyway, the line will pull the clew out like an outhaul, and the tack down at the same time. Reset the peak halyard to the proper tension.

I haven't tried this on the water but didn't have any issues "land sailing".
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Re: Jiffy reefing on Pocketship

Postby slick95 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:32 am

Wondered if you had the opportunity to sail with this new configuration? I'm very close to rigging and interested in your success with the Jiffy Reefing system. I followed your explanation but any photos would be helpful.
Thank you in advance for any feed back!
Jeff
Jeff
Georgetown, Tx
Pocketship plans build "Old Soul"
http://sailboatbuild.blogspot.com/searc ... -results=1
slick95

Postby craig on Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:41 pm

In my experience so far, changing the rigging at all while on the water is a challenge. By that metric, the jiffy reefing system that I installed was a rousing success because it transformed an "impossible" task into a merely "challenging" task. Because I never sailed with an experienced crew, I found myself either directing someone to pull in the lines while I kept us pointing into the wind, or else begging somebody else to hold our course steady. Neither worked out well - Pocketship is too small, and has too much windage, to behave like a 40-foot yacht and remain rock-steady while I stand up and fumble my way through a rigging job. With this slab/jiffy reefing setup, I found it much easier to reef while on the water. That being said, it's not EASY by any means. You still need two people, really. But on the balance I do recommend you install either this or some other slab reefing arrangement (Pocketship #1 has a different arrangement).

I don't have any pictures of the full setup and my boat is in another state currently. To simplify my description significantly: the two sides of the boom are mirror images of each other. The "official" outhaul line runs from one side, through the sail cringle, then through a block on the other side of the boom, then back to a cleat mid-way down the boom. The jiffy reefing line does the exact opposite with another set of blocks and eyebolts, and goes through the sail cringle at the reef point. Instead of terminating mid-way down the boom, this line runs all the way to the end of the boom to a block or eyebolt or something that will redirect the line upwards, through the reef point cringle that's against the mast, and then back down to a cleat on the other side of the boom. When this line is pulled taut (and the peak and throat halyards have been loosened), the sail will reef itself and the outhaul will be pulled correctly.

When cutting rope to make the two outhaul lines, make sure to consider the true maximum length you will need, especially for the jiffy reefing line. The worse-case scenario would be a setup for jiffy reefing the third reef, which would require line to go up several feet to the cringle, then down to the boom. Also up and back down at the mast. Long story short: you'll need a very long line.

For what it's worth, the other rigging change that I made to my Pocketship I liked even more and highly recommend: converting from a two-halyard system (peak and throat) into a one-halyard system. There are some disadvantages compared to the two-halyard system, but it simplifies setup and breakdown and reefing while underway. I've never looked back.
craig

Postby slick95 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:26 pm

Thank you very much for the detailed discription and your other mod to convert to a single halyard system. I'll consider all these as I move to the rigging part of the build.
Jeff
Jeff
Georgetown, Tx
slick95

Postby JonLee on Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:15 pm

I rigged mine for jiffy reefing too. Mine is as Craig described, only I also have a hook lashed to a padeye mounted on the boom near the gooseneck. This is used to secure the tack of the sail when reefing.

I've used the system singlehanded with good success. Shaking out a reef is easier than putting it in, of course. If I'm putting a reef in, I'll gather as much way as possible, take the jiffy reef outhaul in hand and head up into the wind. Then (in as smooth and quick a sequence as possible) drop the peak until the gaff is level, drop the peak and throat haylards evenly (i.e. keep the gaff level) until I can hook the reef point cringle, and then give a tug on the throat halyard to take up the slack and the quickly haul in on the jiffy reefing outhaul. By this point, the mains'l has been flapping madly for a while, I've lost all way, and the boat is rapidly falling off. Like lightning, I top up the gaff, fling myself at the helm, and attempt to get the boat back under sail and under control. As time and motivation permit, I might head up again and try to tie the reef points.
JonLee

Postby slick95 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:16 pm

JonLee,
Thank you for the explanation of your Jiffy Reefing system. I believe I have got this figured out after you guys have helped me along. One other question I have is do you guys have/us lazy jacks? A couple of other Pocketship builders incorporated this and seem to like the benefits.
Thanks again to everyone for assistance!
Jeff
Jeff
Georgetown, Tx
slick95

Postby JonLee on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:57 am

I don't. With the boom gallows, lazy jacks are largely redundant.
JonLee

Postby craig on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:30 am

I do, but I don't have a boom gallows. The lazyjacks are very convenient.
craig

Return to PocketShip Forum