Homemade roller furler

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Homemade roller furler

Postby craig on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:27 pm

I was doodling at work one day (don't tell the boss!) and wondered if I could make my own roller furler system. You need a swivel at the top and bottom of the jib, and a rotatable drum to hold the furler line. A big problem for any home-made system is strength: the 5/32" wire rope in the jib is rated for 730 pounds safe load, so any system I come up with should be as strong, or stronger.

I ordered two 1/4" stainless steel swivels (SD-182206). The top swivel is connected to jib and a block for 2:1 halyard line. The bottom swivel is connected to bowsprit/jib. The bottom swivel has a circular drum attached to it and fixed into position by a screw driven through the wood and through the upper eye of the swivel. When the drum is rotated, the swivel will rotate, thereby rotating the jib and furling it. Pulling on the jib sheet reverses the process as it should, causing the furler line to rotate around the drum. ALL of the force is carried by the swivel; the drum only takes on force when you are winding the jib, and this force is fairly negligible.

My drum is cut with a 2 1/4" hole saw, with the interior cut out with a 2" hole saw (or similar - just make it the correct size to fit your swivel). Top and bottom of the drum are 4mm plywood with the hole cut out of the center. I think I used 3/4" overhang on the plywood, but I should have made it wider to fit more furler line. The line is dead-ended through a hole in the drum. Placement of a fairlead is critical. I had a problem where the line would "jump" over the top plywood. That could be solved by using a wider overhang of plywood (a "wider" drum), or in my case, by placement of a fairlead extremely close to the drum to force the line to furl closer to the middle of the drum.

I've been very pleased with performance so far. I can furl the jib even in heavy wind. I like the low cost and natural wood appearance of this unit, though of course you give up a "professional" look, a slightly easier to use unit, and the smooth ball bearings of the Harken roller furler.

20150208_195707196_iOS.jpg
20150208_195707196_iOS.jpg (153.05 KiB) Viewed 4059 times

20150208_195656123_iOS.jpg
20150208_195656123_iOS.jpg (143.35 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Re: Homemade roller furler

Postby kpbroughton on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:07 pm

Saw a good home made roller furler some were that was made from the center of a bike wheel . they had taken all the spocks off and used center hub with the bears inside it just put alonger center bolt with a eye on it . i,ll try and find the web page and get a photo.
kpbroughton

Postby kpbroughton on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:11 pm

kpbroughton

Postby craig on Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:53 pm

That one looks very professional and ought to be a lot stronger than my unit. Another neat DIY build is located here: http://navigatorjoel.blogspot.com/2010/ ... er-40.html
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Return to PocketShip Forum