Dorade, anchor well, and cockpit drains

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Dorade, anchor well, and cockpit drains

Postby DanaDCole on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:14 am

As I was finishing installation of the cabin deck (which also covers the Dorade boxes) I realized it would have been much easier to drill the drain holes before the boxes were covered! Even better before the boxes themselves were constructed--too late now. Searching through the manual, I finally found (way back in "Fitting Out") instructions about all the drain holes. The drain holes for the anchor well are into the Dorade boxes, then out through the Dorade box drains in the topsides panel. No picture, but I'm pretty sure the Dorade box drain holes should go in the aft, outside corner of each box.

Rather than wait until the boat is painted and almost finished, I think it would be much better to drill the anchor well and Dorade holes soon, before the boat is painted, etc. The tabernacle drain holes should go in as soon as it is installed, and it seems to me the cockpit drain holes should be drilled soon also (all four).

So for now, here is my plan:
1. Fiberglass the cabin deck.
2. Cut the holes for the cowl vents. (I won't be able to reach through them, but the holes will shed more light into the boxes.)
3. Drill the anchor well drain holes in the Dorade boxes. (All holes drilled over-size, filled, and re-drilled to final size.)
4. Drill the over-size Dorade box drain holes. It may be possible to reach in through the cabin-vent holes with a flexible-shaft and drill pilot holes for the drain holes, just to make sure I get them in the right place.
5. Put backup tape inside the Dorade boxes, over the holes, and fill all the holes with thickened epoxy.
6. Drill all the holes to the proper size. (After the epoxy cures, of course.)
7. Drill-fill-drill all four cockpit drain holes.

Note: Because the Dorade holes will be "drill-fill-drilled" they can't be quite down at the bottom of the holes. I guess that means there will always be a little water standing in the Dorade boxes after a rain (anchor well and cockpit too, but that will evaporate). This shouldn't be a problem unless algae or mold starts to grow in the boxes. Perhaps they should be sponged out every now and then.

Does this all make sense? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
DanaDCole

Re: Dorade, anchor well, and cockpit drains

Postby Bflat on Fri May 01, 2015 9:30 am

I see what you mean. So far the only drain holes I've done are those in the seat backs to drain the seat lockers. I managed to remember to make those before I installed the seat backs so was able to cut a slot through the lower seat back frames and a corresponding hole in the seat back panel before installing. The bottom of the hole is level with the seat and is shaped like an "n" (kind of like the mouse holes in the old "Tom and Jerry" cartoons :) ) I had to be careful when filleting around the holes, but it wasn't too hard.

I haven't yet installed the Dorade Boxes so I appreciate your warning. I guess I'll do the same with those as I did with the setback drains. You're right; it's much easier to make the holes before installing the parts.

I guess if I was in the position of drilling the holes AFTER installing the parts I'd drill the hole as low as I could manage and then elongate the hole downward with a rat tail file to get it level with the deck (or close to level). Putting some tape down could help prevent the file from scratching the deck. Removing the file handle would allow it to lie parallel to the deck (and also make the job a real pain in the sass).

A small ball grinder in a moto tool or even in a drill might work too and be even easier.

Thanks for the warning.
Bflat

Postby DanaDCole on Fri May 01, 2015 9:59 am

Thanks for your idea about drilling the holes. But, I think I would need to rasp them down into the deck itself about 3/16" so I can fill the rasped areas with thickened epoxy, then drill and rasp the holes to be level with the deck. That way I'm still following the drill-fill-drill rule.
DanaDCole

Postby craig on Fri May 01, 2015 10:17 am

I drilled to roughly flush with the deck and then used a qtip to wipe unthickened epoxy around the inside of the hole. No need to line it with thickened epoxy.

Waiting until the end of the build to drill holes in the seat back compartment was a mistake. Filling that hole through both plywood and the pine cleat was impossible. I'm going to have water damage there in the future.

Craig
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby Bflat on Fri May 01, 2015 10:41 am

I think the "fill and drill" rule applies mostly to holes that will receive fasteners or get wear from a line. Since drain holes aren't abraded, sealing them with unthickened epoxy would suffice, I think. The "fill and drill" would be the "belt and suspenders" approach to drain holes and may be worth it for peace of mind (not a bad idea).
Bflat

Postby DanaDCole on Fri May 01, 2015 6:35 pm

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I agree that "drill-fill-drill" for drain holes is overkill. I'll drill 'em to size and use a Q-tip or small foam brush to seal 'em up. BTW, I didn't see anywhere the manual specified hole size. I think 3/8" would work for the anchor well and Dorade holes and 1/2" for the footwell holes. If I do drill holes for the seats, 3/8" should be adequate there also.
DanaDCole

Postby Bflat on Tue May 05, 2015 9:44 pm

Page 281 mentions drain hole size. 1/2" is what it suggests for the Dorade/Anchor well drain holes
Bflat

Postby DanaDCole on Wed May 06, 2015 11:16 am

Thanks for the heads-up.
DanaDCole

Return to PocketShip Forum