Lead ballast

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Lead ballast

Postby John C. Harris on Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:23 pm

Random thought: When looking for scrap lead last summer, I plugged "lead" into CraigsList and got lots of hits. A lot of it was in the form of old diver's weight belts, so try that search term, too.

So far, everybody seems to be finding wheel balance weights with no trouble.
John C. Harris

Re: Lead ballast

Postby Hendrik on Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:09 pm

John:
I was thinking of converting the spare lead Tyre weights into diver's weights for the additional weight required for the trim of the boat, which is stowed under the floor. I have a diver's weight mold from the past which I was thinking of using it.
Whats your thoughts about this?
Regards,
Hendrik
Last edited by Hendrik on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hendrik

Postby John C. Harris on Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:36 pm

What are "drive weights"?
John C. Harris

Postby Hendrik on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:12 pm

I meant diver's weights.
Regards,
Hendrik
Hendrik

Postby SHyland83 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:01 am

I'm a little confused. You want to use your left over tire weights to make dive weights. Then put the dive weights under the deck in the cabin to add extra weight to the boat? I was under the impression the lead in the keel was all the ballast that was needed. maybe i'm missing something here.
SHyland83

Postby John C. Harris on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:37 pm

Oh, yes. Page 281.

At least 160 pounds under the floorboards. After a season of sailing I'm not sure 200 pounds wouldn't be better, if you're sailing lightly loaded. The boat would be tiddly without it.

Diver's weights, lead shot, whatever---just stitch it up in bags or something so that it doesn't rattle or ding the finish in the bilges.
John C. Harris

Postby SHyland83 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:45 pm

I don't know how i missed that, I guess i didn't read through the manual all that well. I plan on stitching together the hull this weekend so i guess I didn't read in depth that far ahead.
SHyland83

Postby Keith on Mon May 11, 2009 11:39 am

John C. Harris wrote:Oh, yes. Page 281. At least 160 pounds under the floorboards. After a season of sailing I'm not sure 200 pounds wouldn't be better..."

Sorry, but I don't have the plans yet, but is the 160-200 pounds under the floorboards in addition to pouring lead in the keel? How much goes in the keel? Thanks - Keith
Last edited by Keith on Mon May 11, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith

Postby John C. Harris on Mon May 11, 2009 2:02 pm

>>>>>>Sorry, but I don't have the plans yet, but is the 160-200 pounds under the floorboards in addition to pouring lead in the keel? How much goes in the keel?

There's exactly 107.6 pounds of lead cast into the keel. A minimum of 160 pounds should be under the floorboards. Total 270-ish. The functional equivalent of a large person laying down in the bottom of the boat all the time.

Next time I'm near a quiet dock I'll try to capsize the boat with a halyard led from the masthead. I was going to do this last summer but it would take several people or some sort of mechanical advantage to do it, and the boat was clearly stable enough for its type.

I sailed the boat all day Saturday at OkoumeFest with various groups of visitors. The more people aboard the stiffer it gets, though you have to pay attention to how much weight is on the low side. I got the rail down a few times when I forgot to tell people I was tacking and too many were on the lee side. Heck, my 6000-pound Folkboat heels a lot when too many crew are on the lee side, so the 850-pound PocketShip is forgiven.
John C. Harris

Postby Chuck on Mon May 11, 2009 3:51 pm

John C. Harris wrote:>>>>>>....I sailed the boat all day Saturday at OkoumeFest with various groups of visitors. The more people aboard the stiffer it gets, though you have to pay attention to how much weight is on the low side. I got the rail down a few times when I forgot to tell people I was tacking and too many were on the lee side. Heck, my 6000-pound Folkboat heels a lot when too many crew are on the lee side, so the 850-pound PocketShip is forgiven.

My much prettier half and I were one of the groups of visitors, and I have to say we were quite impressed with the combination of speed and stability. Not to mention, since we're coming most recently off her family's Com-Pac 16, Pocketship sure felt roomy and comfortable as can be. Amazing how a boat that's nominally a foot shorter can feel so much more accommodating.

Chuck
Chuck

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum