Cabin Top (main deck)

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Cabin Top (main deck)

Postby Bflat on Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:32 pm

I'm getting close to installing the cabin top (main deck). I've got the edges it lands on pretty well trimmed to fit I think, but I'm wondering if anyone who has already done this can offer some tips or warnings of pitfalls to do with this operation.
Thanks in advance,
Bob
Bflat

Re: Cabin Top (main deck)

Postby DanaDCole on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:59 pm

One thing that occurred to me too late--after I had installed the roof--is that it sure would have been a lot easier to drill the drain holes in the dorade boxes BEFORE the roof was installed. Each box gets two holes, one to drain the front compartment into the dorade box and one to drain the dorade box outside the hull. I'm really not sure how I am going to manage to drill these holes properly now. I notice your post is dated yesterday--hope I am not too late with this. If I am it is probably not a big deal. As far as I know everyone waits until after the roof is installed because of the way the manual is written. All the various drain holes are not talked about until around page 280.
DanaDCole

Postby Bflat on Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:53 pm

Thanks Dana,
Due to your earlier post on the subject I did go ahead and make the drain holes before I assembled the Dorade panels on the boat.
I'm glad I did since I can see how it would be hard to get them flush with the deck if I'd waited until after the dorade panels were assembled and especially after the cabin top was installed.
Thanks again,
Bob
Bflat

Postby DanaDCole on Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:46 am

Oh, I forgot about that earlier post. Glad I posted it now. Here's a similar thing I did: The companionway hood needs two drain holes near the front--again explained after the boat is nearly finished. I went ahead and drilled those two holes, then sawed slots the same width as the hole diameters, so those drains will go right down to the bottom of the hood.

I can see other places where this would have been a good idea, but too late now for me. I believe it would be a good idea for everyone to read those pages (280-281 I think) and drill all the drain holes ahead of time where it makes sense. For example, the rear cockpit scuppers will have to be drilled through the fillet--not an easy task. Seems to me it would have been better to drill them before filleting.
DanaDCole

Return to PocketShip Forum