How is this possible, and how can I fix it? [fixed!]

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re: How is this possible, and how can I fix it? [fixed!]

Postby DanaDCole on Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:45 pm

Must have been a terrible feeling. Best of luck with your repairs.

I have the Trailex trailer that was custom modified for the PocketShip. On the Trailex (at least the one I have) the three parts of the keel trough are separately mounted to the trailer, so I can easily remove the bottom of the trough and leave the sides in place to guide the boat onto the trailer. I have ordered two rollers with brackets that are exactly the same as the roller at the back of the trough. My plan is to replace the bottom of the trough with two rollers, for a total of three, and as I said the trough sides will still be in place. I have written John Harris about this plan, and while not exactly endorsing it he has said the keel is plenty strong enough to be supported by the three rollers without incident. If it does not work out as planned, I can always replace the trough bottom, but I plan to drill some drain holes in it at strategic points.

I can see several advantages to the rollers vs. the carpeted bottom: Good drainage, obviously. The ability to easily inspect the keel bottom for wear and damage. Easy access to the keel bottom for repairs and repainting. For this purpose the trough sides can be temporarily removed, and the boat can be moved forward and aft a few inches to gain access to all parts of it, while making sure the hoist line is attached to the bow eye to prevent rolling it back too far.
DanaDCole

Postby kpbroughton on Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:07 am

It was raining again to day , was stood talking to my dad about the leak as we did a stream of water ran down the rub rail down the side and on to the bolt that holds the center board on.
kpbroughton

Postby craig on Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:41 am

Wow that's a pain, I'm sorry. I guess prolonged exposure to water on the keel trough compromised the wood where the epoxy had worn away,or wasn't in place fully to begin with. Repairing it looks like a bit of work but not impossible. I think you could basically tear away the bad ply layer, as you are doing, sand down to level, then epoxy on a second layer of plywood on the inside of the boat all the way down to the keelson (you'll need to cut through the floor support/centerboard trunk fillets so the plywood is in one piece). That takes care of the leak and the integrity of the centerboard trunk. For the keel bottom/ sides, you could inject epoxy with a syringe as deep as possible into the voidsand apply pressure with clamps along the length of the trunk. Then,re-fiberglass the sides and bottom to make sure they are waterproof. I would drill out the centerboard pivot and reapply epoxy there to, in case it is leaking.

Craig
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby DanaDCole on Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:59 pm

You might take a look at System Three's Endrot System. There are several other low-viscosity injectable epoxies available, but the Endrot System also includes fungicide, sculptable epoxy, and one or two other products.
DanaDCole

Postby John C. Harris on Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:27 am

kpbroughton wrote:
test2.jpg
test1.jpg

The water was coming up in between the 2nd and 3rd layers of ply and has soaked the trunking all the way back. This is below the water line and the wood is dry above the lower part of the trunking.
Had sleepd on board the night before and my sleeping bag was as wet as a otters pocket when i went below mid day .
The rate it was coming in if i had not been waiting for may wife to turn up and had gone out on my own the water would have been up to the floor boards inside.
The suzy b has only being on the water six times since june when i lanuched her . This amount of damage can not have been done in this short of a time but she has sat the the carpet i put on the trailer for six months. I have watched the rain water run out of the drain holes for the Dorade boxes and down the side of the of the hull on to the base of the trailer were the carpet is.
Did not think about it at the time but it seems to me this can be the only way this could have happend .

I admit to being very puzzled by this. I've been a professional boatbuilder for 25 years and I've never see a centerboard structure come to pieces like that in such a short time. Water ingress or no.

What was the brand and grade of plywood you used in the centerboard trunk?

As centerboard trunk designs go, PocketShip's ranks as among the more bulletproof out there. Ruggedly built and braced from every direction. I actually sold my fiberglass Montgomery 15 in part because of serious centerboard issues (with mine and others I helped work on), and thus had powerful motivation to devise a clean and sturdy centerboard scheme for PocketShip.
John C. Harris

Postby DanaDCole on Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:25 pm

kpbroughton, I don't see how you are going to be able to get that trunk rebuilt and have a properly working centerboard unless you have some pretty incredible woodworking skills. I hope I am being overly pessimistic and you can pull it off, but if I am right, maybe you should consider converting it to a keel boat.

What if you just seal up the centerboard hole and sail it that way? I have read that the boat points fairly well with the centerboard up. That might be too disappointing, though, so what about extending the keel? Major modifications to the trailer (or a new trailer) would be required, but you could try making the keel deeper or adding a bulb keel. A bulb keel you can raise or lower would be nice, but that will re-create some of the problems you are having now. As well as the boat sails with the small centerboard though, it may not take much in the way of a keel extension.

Or what about sealing up the centerboard hole and installing leeboards?

Anyway, if any of these somewhat radical ideas appeal to you, you need to get in contact with a good boat designer to help you figure it out (and try to get John H. involved).
DanaDCole

Postby kpbroughton on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:06 pm

not sure how fix it at the moment . we do have a big thing called bonfire night here in the england on novenmber the 5th. so may have a big bonfire and set fire to it ?
kpbroughton

Postby DanaDCole on Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:23 pm

Oh no! Surely it's salvageable. I think the leeboards might be a good solution--not that pretty but so what!
DanaDCole

Postby craig on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:49 pm

A bonfire Not... Gasp.... Like a Viking funeral??? (Where all old CLC boats go).

Seriously though, you built the boat, you of all people know how to repair it. Either epoxy a second lamination of plywood (4 or 6 mm) to the centerboard trunk, or I guess even easier, just put a couple layers of fiberglass cloth across it after sanding it down. Painted, you'll never know it happened from inside the cabin. Under the keel, just inject some epoxy between the lagers, screw in some short stainless screws to hold it together(careful not to enter the centerboard hollow compartment), and seal the outside and keel bottom with a couple layers of fiberglass cloth. You'll be back on the water in no time.

My renovation is almost done, by the way. Now just a little paint and I'll be back on the water. Can't wait to try out my new outboard.

Craig
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby Pastorjim on Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:17 pm

kpbroughton, Craig is exactly right, you of all people know how to repair her and get her back on then water! It wasn't that long ago that she was nothing but a pile of lumbar and a glint in your eye :) Save Bonfire night for the celebration of getting her back out on the water :)
Blessings
Jim
Pastorjim

PreviousNext

Return to PocketShip Forum