How is this possible, and how can I fix it? [fixed!]

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re: How is this possible, and how can I fix it?

Postby craig on Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:14 pm

It's a lake. Powerboats don't have our keel to contend with so they seem to have an easier time. Most powerboats I see are with two or more people, where one person will get the trailer while the other one circles around in the water until the trailer arrives. WHen I have sailing companions there isn't a problem because they can hold the boat off the rocks/concrete.

I looked up anchoring systems and one is called "clothesline anchoring." Maybe this is something I should think about? That, or just put a boatload of fiberglass down there (pun intentional). This would keep the boat off the ramp while I get the trailer.

- Craig
Attachments
bot411seamanship.jpg
bot411seamanship.jpg (75.51 KiB) Viewed 7613 times
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby DanaDCole on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:50 pm

I remember seeing something similar to that system in my sailing class. When you are ready to bring the boat in you just yank on the lower line and the line connected to the boat will pull the anchor straight up to release it (you hope). With this method you don't have to worry about which way the wind is blowing.

Anyway it is supposed to work pretty good although I've never tried it. It's a bit of trouble and you get your feet wet, but much better than the alternative. One problem I can see is that you would have quite a leap down from the bow into the water. I suppose it would work just as well with the bow (which is where the anchor normally is) pointed out to sea and then you would just have to climb over the transom (again a folding step or folding ladder mounted to the transom would help). Once you get the boat pulled in to shore you would then turn it around the other way.

Anyway, keep us informed on what works. There may be more of those ramps with no dock lurking around!
DanaDCole

Postby DocG on Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:16 am

Am new to the forum, but you might try adding a dye inside to the bilge water and look for osmosis to the outside. Fluorescent dye and a black light would be most sensitive.good luck!
DocG

Postby John C. Harris on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:17 am

I don't think you can accumulate two gallons of bilge water via capillary action through the wood in the keel. No way.

My vote is for a leak around the CB trunk inspection plates. I've had those leak around the flange even after bedding them carefully in silicone caulk.

Another very common source is from above the waterline, not below. Something in the cockpit, a deck leak around hardware, etc. The drains for the companionway hood clogged with sculch on PocketShip #1, whereupon it filled with rainwater until the rainwater started emptying into the cabin, ultimately filling the bilges to the floorboards.

Suggestion: With the boat ashore on the trailer and the bilges dry, poor some water into the bilge. Note where it exits: there be your leak. If no water exits, well, the leak is from above the waterline.
John C. Harris

Postby craig on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:51 am

Thanks again to John and Everyone for their comments. I really appreciate the feedback. The leak could be from the centerboard inspection port. I didn't see any obvious water stains on the outside but it was a long day of sailing and I can see how water could get through there. I did unscrew the drain plug in the sealed bow compartment, and no water was evident, so at least the bow isn't leaking. I drilled out each floor limber hold and re-did the fillet. Before gluing I made a careful inspection but didn't see any obvious holes. Next step: taking the advise to drown the bilge. Hopefully no water leaks through. Will keep you posted.
craig

Postby craig on Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:53 am

Problem solved! I filled the bilge with 5 gallons of water last night (so, way more than originally there) and left it until this morning. No water soaked through at all.

John & Jon probably win the prize. I bet they are right about water coming through an improperly sealed centerboard inspection port. I can't see any water stains on the centerboard trunk under the port, which is odd, but maybe I wouldn't necessarily see it? No way to check without getting back on the water. I'll remove that port and reseal with a bucket of silicone.

- Craig
craig

Re: How is this possible, and how can I fix it? [fixed!]

Postby DanaDCole on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:47 pm

That is great news and I hope the problem is solved by sealing the inspection ports. Since the water you poured in the bilges did not leak out I don't see what else it can be. One thing though, did you check the rear compartment for any water? I don't know how but I suppose it might be somehow possible that rainwater leaking in through the hatches found its way into the main cabin. If there is a leak there it should be fairly easy to fix, unless you have to repair from the cabin side, that is, and have to remove some floorboards in about 8" of overhead space. Let's just hope the inspection ports were the culprit and leave it at that.

I do have one concern though, and that has to do with drilling out the limber holes. Depending on how you did it there is a slight possibility you could have nicked the epoxy seal on the hull below the holes and exposed some bare wood. If you think there is any possibility at all it would be a good idea to pour liquid epoxy directly into the limber holes. It is thin enough that it won't close your holes back up and it should flow over and cover any exposed wood. Might even add a second coat. I have no doubt you used epoxy to re-seal the wood in the floor joists. Those bilges and limber holes are the devil to get at, so I hope this is the end of it.
DanaDCole

Postby craig on Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:50 pm

There was no water in the lazarette compartments, so the water didn't come in through that way. I re-applied a thick epoxy fillet under the limber holes to fix any holes that may have been left there, and to repair any damage caused by opening them up. I'm completely convinced that the boat is watertight inside. I actually purposly didn't mess with the inspection port on the centerboard trunk. I am going to leave it as-is but tape a bit of tissue paper underneath and check for any water after my next sail. I want to know if that was the source of the leaks, or not. After that of course I'll re-seal it with silicone.
craig

Postby DanaDCole on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:15 pm

Sounding better all the time. Good luck!
DanaDCole

Postby kpbroughton on Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:12 pm

hi just had a water my bilges. It has happened because i was run ashore by to fly fishermen in a motor boat ( they would not give way and had to gybe)
at the weekend.
the center borad dug in to the beach beam on . its sprung the side of the center board trunking at the front from the top and water is seeping through the top .
not sure how to fix it yet going to think about it for a day or two will post a photo when i can.
kpbroughton

PreviousNext

Return to PocketShip Forum