Easy way to find exact center of epoxy-filled holes.

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Easy way to find exact center of epoxy-filled holes.

Postby DanaDCole on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:14 am

Forgive me if this is the way everyone has always done it, but this idea finally occurred to me yesterday so I thought I should share it. I'd been trying my best to find the exact center of epoxy-filled holes so the drill for the final hole wouldn't hit bare wood. My best option so far has been a circle template with four tick marks that I used to draw diameter lines at right angles. But I still usually got it a little off--it's not as easy as it sounds.

The solution is a Forstner bit. Use the one you used to drill the original (larger, filled) hole. Or if you used a twist bit to drill the original hole, find or purchase a Forstner bit of the same size (they are worth it). The Forstner bits have a little sharp point in the exact center used to start the drill. The bit should not be mounted in a drill chuck. Place the bit over your filled hole and carefully align its edges with the rim of the hole. When you have it perfectly aligned, just press down on the bit and twist it a little to make an indentation at the center, being careful not to scratch your work at the edges with the drill's cutting surfaces. That is, try to keep the drill bit perfectly perpendicular to the work, and don't press down too hard or too far. If the indentation at the center needs to be a little larger, take care of that with an awl or a prick punch.

Again, I hope I'm not telling you something you already know, and that this will be helpful.
DanaDCole

Re: Easy way to find exact center of epoxy-filled holes.

Postby riverron on Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:37 am

Dana,
I am new to the forum and presently considering building the PocketShip. I have enjoyed reading all the posts from you and the other builders as well as your personal blog, which I have been following. I have been trying to collect all the helpful hints and issues that everyone has run through in hopes of not repeating the same items and or helping to move past them.

I am hoping to purchase the kit the first part of 2016 and right now I am trying to get my work space and the correct tools to be able to start building. Also working on the wife's approval! :lol:
Thanks again for your posts and I look forward to reading about your progress and hopefully minimal challenges!

Ron
riverron

Return to PocketShip Forum