Not A Painter - Adding Accent Stripe - Advice Needed

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Not A Painter - Adding Accent Stripe - Advice Needed

Postby ddemasie on Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:45 pm

I am in the final stages of building my Pocketship. I have flipped the hull, and sanded and finished the inside of the cabin. My centerboard is finished, so now I will be fiberglassing, installing the center board, and sanding and painting the hull. So I am down to the task I have dreaded all along - painting the hull. Inside the cabin was easy - no straight lines - just mask and paint like it was a room in the house.

The hull is a different story.

I will be using the recommended Interlux Brightsides paint

I plan to paint it white below the waterline - I will rent a laser level to scribe a straight line - I don't see a problem there. I will use the tip and roll - no spraying for me.

My biggest anxiety about the paint is painting the sides above the white. I plan to paint the sides a marine blue, and add an accent stripe (maybe 2 or 3 inches wide) of bright red about half way between the water line and the rub rail.

I have seen plenty of pictures of beautifully painted Pocketships with accent striping near the water line, etc. so I know I am not looking at attempting the impossible.

I am looking for advice and input on how I go about that process - what are the steps I go about to do that?

Do I paint the entire side blue - let it totally dry, then add the red stripe over the blue, or alternate blue, red, blue so I have no overlap of colors underneath at all ?

Do I use the laser level to scribe the accent stripe so it matches the waterline, or do I simply line it up with the rub rail - or dies it make a difference at all?

Any particular painting techniques I need to use for striping a 3 inch stripe?

Anyone who can give me helpful guidance would be much appreciated.
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Re: Not A Painter - Adding Accent Stripe - Advice Needed

Postby chaertl on Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:17 pm

Hi Dennis,

Here's just some basic painting tips. Always apply darker colors over the lighter ones. The white over blue is pretty cut and dried but the blue over red isn't. Your best bet there is layout and mask off your accent stripe so you aren't putting one over the other. I'd bet they would both show the other one through. As for laying out that stripe you'll have to decide weather it would look better running parallel to the water line or the rub rail. If you follow the rub rail it's going to sweep up at the bow but would be easier to layout. In this case get a piece of cardboard or thin ply about 8" wide and cut so the length is right for the top of the strip. Hold one edge against the rub rail with a pencil on the other edge and run it down the side of the boat. Cut another piece 2 or 3" longer and repeat and the stripe is marked off. If you want to parallel the water line you'll need the laser to do it or take measurements off the waterline marks to lay it out. Brightsides is a really easy paint to work with too. You'll most likely need to do coats to fully cover everything though so don't get discouraged if the first one looks uneven, the second one takes care of that. They also make a non-skid additive that comes in handy for parts of the cockpit and topsides.

Take care,

Chris
chaertl

Re: Not A Painter - Adding Accent Stripe - Advice Needed

Postby ddemasie on Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:02 am

Thank you, Chris. Very clear, very helpful.
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Return to PocketShip Forum