Tools Required to build Pocket Ship?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Tools Required to build Pocket Ship?

Postby riverron on Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:53 am

I purchased the manual for Pocket Ship and plan to start building early 2016. CLC has a listing of required and recommended tools in the front of the manual and I have the majority, but do not have a bandsaw. CLC recommends a 14" Bandsaw, but pricing them out, they are pretty expensive. Would a 10" Bandsaw do the job or should I just save up and get the 14".

If you have any other recommendations on tools not list, please let me know.

thanks
Ron
riverron

Re: Tools Required to build Pocket Ship?

Postby craig on Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:58 am

I didn't use a bandsaw on my build. You can make do with a circular saw, router, sandpaper, and more time. I suppose the only electric tools you "need" are a circular saw, a router, and a sander. Do get lots of clamps though. Home Depot has spring clamps for $0.99. I bought a ton of those.
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby riverron on Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:08 am

Thanks Craig. I have most of the basic tools listed. I was just looking at the luxury ones recommended in the manual. Anything to make the build easier.
I actually discovered the ones at Home Depot as well. I was very surprised to see the price. I pick up 15-20 every time I go.

thanks again!
riverron

Postby DanaDCole on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:01 am

I think many of the parts would be difficult without a bandsaw, e.g., noseblock, carlins, companionway hood and slide ends, and a few others. I got by with a 10". I bought the widest blade available (1/2") to keep it tracking straighter. It still wobbles some though. Cut at least 1/4" proud, then sand it down. A small disk/belt tabletop sander is a big help too. My rationale for buying all the tools I could manage--I can use them for other projects, especially "honey dos." :)
DanaDCole

Postby Bflat on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:11 am

Another tool I found indispensable was the little sanding drums made for use in an electric drill. They're inexpensive and available at any home improvement store. They come in a range of sizes from 1/2" to 2." I used the 1" and 1.5" most often. They're great for sanding fillets especially if you leave the sand paper sleeve standing a little proud of the working end of the drum.

As to the random orbital disc sander (essential), I wish I would have learned earlier to replace my sanding discs more frequently. The fresh ones work so much better that I now buy them by the gross and replace them as if they were free. If you value your time at all, it's worth it.
Bflat

Postby ddemasie on Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:54 pm

I 'outsourced' my nose block cut to a friend who has a wood shop with a 14" bandsaw - and I eventually ended up buying a cheap 10" bandsaw once I got to the more complex cuts for a proper pieces for the companionway hood and slide. But as Craig answered above - if you have some time and patience, you don't have to have a band saw.

Now that I am nearly complete with my build - I am amazed at the skills I have learned, and the cuts I can make with a simple Japanese hand saw (the Ryoba in the CLC catalog), and the little Banzai saw.

The power tool I definitely use the most is the orbital sander attached to a 1.5 gallon shop Vac.

The other tool mentioned a lot in the instructions is a grinder - I developed skills with hand planes, and a couple of different Stanley Surform shaping tools (the 12" that has two handles is an amazing tool for shaping dried epoxy or any wood edge). A grinder would have made it much quicker, but I was able to perform all I needed with smaller tools.
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Postby ddemasie on Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:06 pm

I don not have a table saw either - See attached pictures of how I cut my rub rail scarfs by hand using just hand tools. Each one took about a half hour, but I only used my workmate work surface, a chisel, a block plane, and a surform tool to cut perfect scarfs.
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Postby riverron on Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:35 pm

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.
Right now, I have:
1)Table Saw
2)Orbital Sander with the Vac. (Already starting to buy sanding disc. )
3)Hand Belt Sander
4)Drill Press
5)Hand Drills

Will be looking at based upon recommendations.
10" Bandsaw. The 14" are too expensive.
Hand-held Grinder
Small Sander attachment for drill.
I am going to get a Japanese Hand Saw from CLC.
Table Top Sander

thanks again for all the help!
riverron

Postby DanaDCole on Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:24 pm

One thing I forgot is a set of cabinet scrapers. They can save you a lot of sanding time in certain areas once you learn how to use them. The set from CLC has one with round edges that I found very useful for smoothing out internal fillets. I have the drum sanders for my drill and used them in several curved areas. I never tried them for fillets though--sounds like a good idea.
DanaDCole

Return to PocketShip Forum