bow stop roller and bob stay

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

bow stop roller and bob stay

Postby DanaDCole on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:25 pm

There is something I don't understand about the bob stay--maybe it will become clear when I rig the boat. The trailer's bow stop roller is above the bow eye, so it and it's support stand are in the way of the bob stay. Do you have to remove the bob stay when you trailer the boat, or am I missing something?
DanaDCole

Re: bow stop roller and bob stay

Postby craig on Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:22 pm

The way Pocketship #1's trailer is set up, yes. John has commented on that before (somewhere). I don't know why the bow roller is so high.
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby DanaDCole on Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:32 am

It just occurred to me to take a look at the picture that I shot of Charlie Huie's boat sitting on the trailer. I can see that he has lowered the stop roller down below the bow eye. So that's the answer. I was afraid to try that, thinking ithe roller might need to be high to help hold the boat upright, but obviously I was wrong.
DanaDCole

Postby chaertl on Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:09 pm

The one advantage to having the bow roller higher is safety. When it's down low like it would be under the pad eye the boat can run over it in an accident and wind up on top of you. with it up higher it will either stop it from coming forward or deflect it the side instead of on top of the car. Unpleasant thing to think of but around the Twin Cities we have several accidents with boats being towed every year. My worst fear is being rear ended while towing, already rolled the previous trailer.

Chris
chaertl

Postby DanaDCole on Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:31 pm

So how do you install the bob stay--after the boat is in the water?
DanaDCole

Postby chaertl on Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:04 am

Hi Dana,

Just a shackle on the bob stay. The West Marine part number is 116301. As long as there's no tension on the jib halyard it's just a matter of attaching it to the bow eye with a half turn of the pin. You can attach it ounce the boat is pushed back about two feet on the trailer. Here's a link to the West Marine page.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/wichard-- ... 60_004_504

Take care,

Chris
chaertl

Postby DanaDCole on Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:28 am

Thanks Chris. Just more evidence my mind is going I guess. I knew about the shackle and may already have one, but somehow I didn't make the connection. I plan to modify my trailer by removing the bottom of the keel trough and replacing it with rollers, so that will make it even easier I think.
DanaDCole

Return to PocketShip Forum