drop board hasp staple block

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

drop board hasp staple block

Postby DanaDCole on Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:56 pm

After installing the hasp staple on the top drop board (and getting a little rain in the cabin that night), I discovered after re-reading the instructions that you are supposed to install a block below the staple so that when you lock the hasp to the staple the hatch slide has to come out further over the drop boards, thus keeping the rain out. The only problem is, it does not say how long to make the block. (It also says to make it in the shape of a truncated pyramid, but until I find out how tall it should be I'm not going to all that trouble.)

Looking at the picture, I guessed it to be about 1 1/4" long, so I made it 1 1/2" for good measure. I can always cut it shorter but I can't make it longer. I haven't tested it in the rain yet, but I'm hoping I didn't make the block so big that the hatch lets rain in at the opposite end--a lot more rain! Does anyone know exactly how long the block should be?
DanaDCole

Re: drop board hasp staple block

Postby chaertl on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:26 pm

Hi Dana,

3/4" same as the aft edge of the hatch. The beveled edges are just for looks too. The rest of the dimensions will depend on the size of the hasp you're using.

Take care,

Chris
chaertl

Re: drop board hasp staple block

Postby DanaDCole on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:34 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I knew the shape is cosmetic, but I thought it looked pretty nice. Might replace it some time when I have nothing better to do. I was thinking, though, that it would be a good idea to bevel the top edge so water will run off, but then it would run right into the lock!

Now that I looked at it again, the 1 1/2" block I made just barely has the edges of the hatch out far enough to keep water out of the slots by the edges of the drop boards. I might take a cup of water out there tomorrow and pour it on the hatch. If it does not run into the cabin, but rather down and out through the hood's drain holes, I think I'll leave the block as is.
DanaDCole

Return to PocketShip Forum