missing 6" of sail track? maybe not

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

missing 6" of sail track? maybe not

Postby DanaDCole on Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:54 am

I finally got ready to start installing sail track today, so I untaped the three pieces that came with the sailing hardware package. I found one 96" piece and two shorter pieces that add up to 117", the length needed for the gaff. Only problem is, I need 102" for the mast, so that leaves me 6" short. I remember noticing when the sailing hardware came that one end of the package containing the track was open and some track was sticking out, so maybe that's how the 6" piece got lost. Has anyone else had this problem? Or was the 6" piece in with the other box with the rest of the sailing hardware?

BTW, I noticed in the Sailing Hardware Package listing the number 17 in the right-hand column. Is that 17 feet? If so, that's odd because 102" plus 117" is 18' 3". Even adding 96" to 117" you get 17' 9". Both of these are a lot more than 17', so how much track is there supposed to be on the spars anyway? Perhaps there are errors in the manual and I have enough? [After writing this I dug out the packing list that came with the Package. There it clearly states, "Sail Track 5/8" SS (MAST 96" YARD 60" & 57")." So it looks like I am OK, but am sending this to CLC anyway just in case.

I'm in a race against time here, hoping to get at least one sail in before the cold weather sets in, so I'm writing CLC about this also, hoping to get the extra piece [if I need it] in time even if I have to pay for it.
DanaDCole

Re: missing 6" of sail track? maybe not

Postby craig on Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:11 pm

How do you know you need 102" for the mast? I really doubt a six-inch piece was cut separately and got lost.
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby DanaDCole on Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:32 pm

Thanks for your response Craig. The 102" figure comes from page 268 of the manual: "You'll need 102" (2591mm) length for the mast." The reason this concerned me is that 96" equals 8 feet so I naturally assumed that might be the standard length the track comes in, hence the need to add 6". (Also, the track for the yard came in two pieces.) But as I stated in brackets (braces?) later, I dug out the packing list and it seems to indicate that 96" is the correct length for the mast track. I hope this is correct, but in the meantime I decided to go ahead and post anyway to alert builders who are not that far along yet of the discrepancy. Once I hear from CLC that 96" is indeed the correct length I'll post that.
DanaDCole

Postby DanaDCole on Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:46 pm

I have verification from John Harris now that 96" is the correct length for the sail track on the mast. So future builders, pleae ignore the call for 102" of track on p. 268 of the manual. It is supposed to read 96".

John also pointed out that although there is a butt joint on the track on the yard, you almost never move the cars on that spar, so it is not much of a problem.
DanaDCole

Return to PocketShip Forum