bow eye position

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

bow eye position

Postby DanaDCole on Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:27 am

It's too late now for me, but how did everyone determine where to locate the noseblock? I made several very careful measurements on the scale drawing and came up with a method for locating it I thought would work but it turns out it is too low. I have not been able to come up with a combination of shackles that will make the bobstay tight, so for now I will have to use strong rope--don't want a sudden gust to pull the bowsprit hard up against the tip of the bow.

I plan to order a turnbuckle to integrate with the bobstay and have the bobstay cut to fit and so on by a local machinist who can attach the nicopress sleeves. I don't see any feasible way to get the shrouds and forestay all properly tuned without using turnbuckles on all three. Thanks to chaertl (Chris) I have two (free except for postage) SS turnbuckles already on the shrouds. To get them to fit easily I moved the chainplate locations back slightly--maybe 1/2" to 3/4". I don't think this will have much effect on how far the boom can travel. (Thanks again Chris. I don't want to get a third turnbuckle from you if you still have any though. For the bobstay I want to see if I can find a shorter one.)
DanaDCole

Re: bow eye position

Postby craig on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:02 pm

I don't know how much they will charge you to re-fashion the nicropress sleaves, but you can always order the tool that you need. It costs $40 and is available on Duckworks, Ebay, etc. I made mine a little too small and had to buy a larger shackle. Even so, I need to pull down hard to slightly bend the bowsprit to make it fit. I'm sure you can find a combination of one or two shackles to fit. Otherwise, you could always use a short length of rope like John recommended for the shrouds.

Locating the proper location for this piece of hardware was not easy though, I agree.
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby DanaDCole on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:39 pm

Thanks Craig! The only nicropress tool I was able to locate was someting like $350. At that price I think the tool is definitely worth having. I'm going to Duckworks right now.
DanaDCole

Postby chaertl on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:32 pm

Just PM'd you Dana.
chaertl

Postby Bflat on Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:13 pm

I'm wondering if the following procedure would be helpful to get the bow eye well positioned with proper bobstay tension:

Install the bow sprit to the boat
Attach the pre-made bobstay to its spot on the end of the bowsprit
Shackle the bow eye to the free end of the bobstay letting the whole works dangle from the end of the bowsprit
Swing it all up towards the bow to find where the bow eye lands on the bow and mark that location
Detach the bow eye from the bobstay and mount it at the mark on the bow

In short - let the bobstay determine where the bow eye should be rather than mounting the eye first and hoping that the bobstay length will be correct.

Before doing any of this one could even put a little weight on the end of the bowsprit to get a little "pre-bend" to it so that the bobstay is tight when the weight is removed (a very slight downward "steeve").
Bflat

Postby DanaDCole on Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:02 pm

Good idea. In my case I installed the bow eye long before ordering the sailing hardware though. Anyway, I have shortened the bobstay and installed a turnbuckle. Along with the two turnbuckles on the shrouds I have a much easier time tuning the rigging.

There is also a lucky advantage to having put the bow eye where I did: The bobstay passes untouched between the front roller and the winch when the boat is sitting on the trailer. That allows me to tune the rigging pretty well with the boat on the trailer. Then all I have to do when launching is disconnect the shackle, move the boat back a few inches, and reconnect it. No further adjustments should be necessary. (I'll find out today for sure.)
DanaDCole

Return to PocketShip Forum