vent covers

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

vent covers

Postby DanaDCole on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:01 am

As per the instructions on page 161, I drilled 4 1/2" holes for the cabin vents. But, the only covers I can find are a maximum of 5" in diameter, with 4 5/8" between the mounting holes. That means I have only 1/16" of wood all around to drill my mounting holes into. That's not going to work.

So my plan is to fashion plywood flanges to go around the vent covers and use very short screws to attach the covers to the flanges from the inside. The flanges would match the ones around the port lights. The hitch there is that the best way to cut the flanges is with a router mounted to a circle jig, but the only ones I can find cut a minimum diameter of 10" (makes sense because of the diameter of most router bases). So what to do?

I have seen pictures where others have made similar flanges. I have a jig saw that might do the trick after rough-cutting the plywood to the approximate size. I'd have to rig some kind of centering pin. Any ideas?

Or, if someone knows where I can find a 5 1/2" or 6" vent cover, that would be an easier fix.
DanaDCole

Re: vent covers

Postby Bflat on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:26 am

On the prototype it looks like the cabin vents are covered with 4 inch plastic deck plates. Those require a cutout diameter of 4.5 inches.
Bflat

Postby craig on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:32 am

In my experience the 4 inch deck plates have a smaller inside diameter, not larger. The inside and outside diameter should be listed on the product packaging.

Dana: I uploaded some pictures of jigs I made for my build under the title "helpful homemade jigs" or something similar. In there, I have a circle jig that can cut from 3 inches diameter to infinity. I used it to but all the circles in my build, including the porthole flanges. To make a flange, obviously you cut a big circle, then cut a small circle out of that. A little sandpaper and it's like new.
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby Bflat on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:18 am

The hole you need to cut for the 4 inch deck plate is 4.5 inches. I have them in hand. The inside diameter of the 4 inch deck plate is 4 inches, hence the name. The outside diameter (that of the flange) is 5.75 inches.
Bflat

Postby craig on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:29 am

Oh I see what your saying. That makes sense.
craig

Postby DanaDCole on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:19 pm

I would really like to see your circle-cutting jigs. Also, I'm not sure if we are all on the same page. I am talking about the vent holes in bulkhead 2, inside the cabin. I don't want deck plates there, I want louvered vents. I bought two 5" butterfly vents, but the distance between mounting holes is only 1/16" more than the diameter of the holes. Trying to drill holes for mounting screws that close to the edge just does not work.
DanaDCole

Postby Bflat on Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:31 am

In reference to the vents on bulkhead 2, that's what I was talking about - on the prototype it looks like they used 4 inch deck plates - that's why they specified cutting 4.5 inch holes. If you want louvered vents that's another matter. Sounds like you have figured out a way to make that work. Your boat looks great, by the way.
Bflat

Postby craig on Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:00 pm

Here's the link to the circle-cutting jig I made. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=608

I'm (unduly) proud of my design for homemade covers for the dorade vents. I installed a small flange made from 4mm plywood. Inside the hatch is a 4-inch 6mm piece of plywood, which snugs up perfectly inside the flange to close the hole. To hold this piece of plywood in place, I used a small rectangular piece of 4mm plywood with a hole drilled in the center. A line is stop-knotted to the back of the vent piece, through this rectangular piece, and then into an adjustable knot like two half hitches or something (I can't remember what I used). You can then tighten the knot, which pulls the vent and rectangular pieces tightly together and holds the vent closed. Loosen the slip knot to allow the vent assembly to drop down into the dorade box. Simple, works well, and is adaptable to any size opening.

20151018_174955951_iOS.jpg
20151018_174955951_iOS.jpg (225.45 KiB) Viewed 9924 times

20151018_174916396_iOS.jpg
20151018_174916396_iOS.jpg (177.24 KiB) Viewed 9908 times
craig

Postby DanaDCole on Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:51 pm

You should be very proud, not unduly proud. That is not only ingenious it looks very pretty.
DanaDCole

Postby Bflat on Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:43 am

One advantage deck plates on bulkhead 2 allow is the ability to positively seal the cabin from the dorades if needed in dire conditions. The vent covers on the cabin top are only held by friction and even when closed, water can still come in through the drain holes. I'm talking about in the event of a knock down or some weird weather happening with high winds and horizontal rain, or a drain hole freezes shut with ice on the deck, etc. - life and death kind of things. Lake Superior has the occasional sudden June snow storm.

Less dire - similar things could happen with the boat on a mooring or tied in a slip or even on the trailer with the owner far away.

"Batten down the hatches" isn't just a "saying."
Last edited by Bflat on Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bflat

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum