vent covers

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re: vent covers

Postby DanaDCole on Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:38 pm

Good points all. FYI, I keep the cowls inside the cabin storage area--only plan to put them on when I am in the cabin and need ventilation. Reasons: 1. keep animals (squirrels, etc.) out of the dorades when boat is sitting in the yard, 2. when climbing to the anchor well cowls can be kicked off and fall in the water never to be recovered. Now you have made me aware of a third reason.

I am using the flat plates that came with the cowl vents to replace the cowls. They don't screw in, but still they are hard to remove and I'm sure will stay in place.

You have made me think about putting deckplates in the bulkhead and opening them only when I need ventilation. Looks are not as important as function. I don't plan to be in boat in dire conditions, but they can't always be avoided. I have a friend who lives in Wisconsin near Lake Michigan and we may take his boat and my boat out on that lake--so in that eventuality I definitely need to be prepared. (They ought to call the Great Lakes inland seas, not lakes.)
DanaDCole

Postby chaertl on Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:08 am

One other suggestion, make sure you have some sort of screen behind the cabin openings t keep the bugs out. Found a wasp hanging on one of mine yesterday.

Chris
chaertl

Postby DanaDCole on Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:54 am

Good point! I went ahead and ordered the deck plates so I can finish things up in there for now. If I install the "butterfly" vents later I'll be sure to add screening. Mounting the butterfly vents to the inside of plywood flanges should facilitate that.
DanaDCole

Postby Bflat on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:28 pm

Fitting some netting on the deck plate flange with an elastic band doesn't seem like it would be too difficult (actually it would probably take some cussing while working one hand blindly through the dorade top hole to get the job done) but, do-able.
Bflat

Previous

Return to PocketShip Forum