? for John

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

? for John

Postby Seagypsy on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:04 pm

John
A few years back, you had a CLC boat tryout day at Mandarin Park in Jacksonville, Florida and I came there with the intention of paddling or sailing each and every kayak and boat you had. There was one or two that I missed. You may remember me as I was the guy with the skin on frame baidarka that you tried out( since you're a good 5 or 6 inches taller than I am I wasn't sure you'd fit). My wife and I recently became aware of Pocketship and realize it's nearly perfect for the coastal sailing we want to do. Being a parsiminous bastard with a fair amount of epoxy left over from a previous project, I plan on purchasing the plans, manual and ply from CLC and building from there. How many sheets of 6,9, and 18 mm ply are required? What sort of wood do you recommend for the trim , gunwales, etc? For later on, would there be a way to rig a jackyard topsail for light wind conditions?(probably totally impractical but fun) This looks like it would be perfect for the NE Florida and Georgia coast. Steve Howe
Seagypsy

Re: ? for John

Postby Seagypsy on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:13 pm

Good grief, I just noticed the Bill of Materials. The ? on the jackyard topsail still is on my mind, though. Steve
Seagypsy

Postby John C. Harris on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:41 pm

>>>>>A few years back, you had a CLC boat tryout day at Mandarin Park in Jacksonville, Florida and I came there with the intention of paddling or sailing each and every kayak and boat you had. There was one or two that I missed. You may remember me as I was the guy with the skin on frame baidarka that you tried out( since you're a good 5 or 6 inches taller than I am I wasn't sure you'd fit).>>>>>

I remember that. Must have been late in 2002.

>>>>> My wife and I recently became aware of Pocketship and realize it's nearly perfect for the coastal sailing we want to do. Being a parsiminous bastard with a fair amount of epoxy left over from a previous project, I plan on purchasing the plans, manual and ply from CLC and building from there. How many sheets of 6,9, and 18 mm ply are required?

Right, the materials list is here: http://www.clcboats.com/shop/kit_option ... POCKETSHIP

>>>>What sort of wood do you recommend for the trim , gunwales, etc?

For structural members, just about anything works. Spruce, pine, fir, etc. Mine's got cypress and spruce bits. For spars: spruce or cedar. For rails, something dark and lovely, like mahogany. There are a lot of good substitutes for mahogany, such as spanish cedar or even walnut. I've a preference for domestically-sourced solid timber if possible.

>>>>For later on, would there be a way to rig a jackyard topsail for light wind conditions?>>>>>>>>>>

Well....sure. I love a jackyard topsail like the next guy. You'd only set it in a real drifter, though, because PocketShip has a lot of sail area. Even a mild puff with the tops'l aloft could lay you on your beam ends. And don't forget---you have to store that sail and its spars someplace.
John C. Harris

Postby Seagypsy on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:04 pm

I guess that topsail would be pretty impractical.
Seagypsy

Return to PocketShip Forum