split ring substitute

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

split ring substitute

Postby DanaDCole on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:54 pm

There must be a better way of keeping so many of the rigging pins in place than those tiny split rings. True, the only ones that have to be removed unless maintenance is required are on each end of the jib and I only remove it when storing the sails for the winter. Still, it seems like I spend more time fumbling with those tiny rings and trying to find them after I drop them in the leaves and grass than I do on all the rest of the winter preparation. An exaggeration of course, but still they are really a pain. I'm going to look on-line to see if there is a tiny D-shackle, similar to the one used to attach the bobstay, with a small enough shaft, but I doubt there is one that small.

If anyone has come up with a better idea, please post it.
DanaDCole

Re: split ring substitute

Postby DanaDCole on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:04 pm

Well, I may have answered my own question. I was thinking of replacing the keeper-ring, not the pin itself. I found some 1/4" x 1" quick-release pins at Jamestown Distributors that may do the trick. The pins that are on the furling drum are a tiny bit under 1/4", so I'm hoping I can force the 1/4" pins in. I'll post it here if they work out. They might be useful in several other places.
DanaDCole

Postby DanaDCole on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:32 am

The quick-release pins came in--only problem was I ordered 1-inch pins and didn't allow for the keeper ball placement and the hole for the pull ring which only leaves about 1/2" of usable length, which was not quite long enough. So I called them and ordered the 1 1/2" pins which came the next day. They work very well. The only place I am using them so far is the jib attachments, but I'm sure I'll discover other places where they will help. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=4418 The 1 1/2 pins came on cards, which gave the total length and usable length of the shaft (for the 1 1/2" pins, 7/8" usable). I wish they would have included this information on the Web site.
DanaDCole

Postby craig on Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:49 am

Aren't you scared they will pull out? I don't understand how they are held in place
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby craig on Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:59 am

Oh never mind I guess they have a ball that holds them in place, and there isn't much sideways force on the pin.
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby DanaDCole on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:23 pm

Right Craig. When I tried pulling it out it was hard enough that I am not worried. It's true I am using the pins to hold the jib stay, which is also the forestay, but I always leave the spinnaker halyard that I used to raise the mast connected. That way if a pin should somehow come out of the jib furler the mast will not fall.

There is a type that won't allow the balls to retract unless you pull on the ring, but I guess they couldn't make one of that kind with such a small-diameter shaft.
DanaDCole

Return to PocketShip Forum