trailer

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re: trailer

Postby craig on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:55 pm

Have you had any difficulty recovering the boat with this keel trough modification? I have trouble getting the keel aligned with the bunk as it is, and wouldn't want to make it more challenging.

Craig
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby DanaDCole on Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:56 pm

I kept in place the two side boards that align the keel. I had to raise them and move them in a bit, but I have had no more trouble getting the boat lined up than I did before the modification. When there is a crosswind it is going to be difficult no matter what. Slinging the old bottom board under the trailer's cross-members is a big help because I can walk around on the rear end of the trailer very easily to get things lined up (I wear hip boots in colder weather). I also installed walking boards on each side near the front of the trailer. That being said, if there is a strong cross-wind I will still probably end up having to get wet and get help to recover the boat. (On days like that I either stay home or try to find a ramp that points down wind.)

Installing the rollers and raising the keel-trough sides is covered in detail in my previous post: "Modifications to Trailex Trailer." I posted it before I added the walking boards though.

You might also want to look at Pete McCrary's post, "Trailer setup . . ." for some ideas. He has made some pretty elaborate changes, including wedges to guide the keel at the rear of the trailer and at each bunk support. His ideas would work just as well with the keel rollers. I myself am loathe to attach too many steel fittings to an aluminum trailer though--too many places for corrosion to set in.

After writing this post, I went out and took some pictures that I hope will clarify the "walking boards."
Rear walking board viewed from the port side.

Rear walking board viewed from rear on the port side.

Front walking boards. The bungee is helping to hold a tarp covering in place. I probably should have removed it while shooting pictures. As you can see, Pete's design is much more elaborate than mine.
DanaDCole

Postby hood on Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:14 pm

3 m prolongation folding of the trailer launching into the water
Attachments
PC180879 (2).JPG
PC180879 (2).JPG (230.06 KiB) Viewed 7211 times
hood

Postby DanaDCole on Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:18 pm

Amazing. I suppose that is for slimy ramps, which as least one thing we don't have to worry about in Oklahoma.
DanaDCole

Postby Bflat on Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:16 am

Tongue extensions are usually for use at shallow ramps where one must back the trailer far into the water in order to get the boat on and off.
Bflat

Postby DanaDCole on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:15 am

Oh I get it. Our ramps are fairly steep but I usually have to back in the water until I hear the exhaust bubbling and still it's a bit difficult to recover the boat. I might try one of those extensions if they are not terribly expensive. I would not need one as long as the one in your picture though.
DanaDCole

Postby Pascal on Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:07 pm

This works great for me on Naoned
Happy holidays to all
Attachments
IMG_1301[1].JPG
This is the set up for Naoned
IMG_1301[1].JPG (80.24 KiB) Viewed 7189 times
Pascal

Postby Bflat on Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:08 am

What is the distance between the bunks on the pocketship trailer?
Thanks,
Bob
Bflat

Previous

Return to PocketShip Forum