trailer

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

trailer

Postby Bflat on Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:54 pm

I'll soon be ready for a trailer for my Pocketship so I have a couple questions.
1. How long is the keel trough on the Trailex trailer?
2. When on the trailer is most of the boat's weight on the keel trough or is it on the side bunks?
Thanks in advance
Bflat

Re: trailer

Postby JonLee on Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:33 pm

The keel trough is as long as you make it, I guess. You have to fabricate and add it yourself...my understanding is that this is true even for the Trailex trailer. I do not think there are any dimensions in the manual...I think I made mine out of 8' lumber.

The weight of the boat should be on the keel when on the trailer. The bunks primarily restrain the boat from rolling.
JonLee

Postby riverron on Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:52 pm

Looking on the CLC website, the trailer looks like it comes with the trough. CLC should be able to confirm that. I am going to their open house on Saturday and could measure if you like, but since it is a custom trailer, I would assume you would not have to modify any.
riverron

Postby Bflat on Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:55 pm

As long as you're going to be there I'd certainly appreciate it if you would take a measurement and post it.
Thanks,
Bob
Bflat

Postby riverron on Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:07 pm

Sure, I will try to measure and post. I stand corrected, I did read you need to build the keel box. I am planning on taking my GoPro to take some video as well and will take lots of pictures.
riverron

Postby DanaDCole on Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:45 pm

I bought the Trailex trailer and it comes with the keel trough already assembled and installed. However, I feel that it is a bad idea to have the keel sitting on wet carpet and inaccessible when the boat is on the trailer, so I removed the bottom board and replaced it with two more rollers. Please see my Post, "Modifications to Trailex Trailer." Now that my keel is accessible I have already found some damage that was easy to repair.
DanaDCole

Postby riverron on Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:31 pm

Bflat,
The measurements for the trough are 87' length. The trough looks like it is made from 2X4 stock for the sides and the middle piece of wood that the boat sits on is 5 inches wide.
As Dana stated, the Trough cam with the his trailer. I forgot to confirm while I was there, but I would contact CLC to confirm.

thanks
URL=http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/riverronw/media/trough_zpslkajwltp.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
riverron

Postby Bflat on Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:16 pm

Thanks Riverron. That knowledge will help me settle some trailer choices.
Bflat

Postby Pascal on Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:34 pm

I may be too late on this but my boat seats on the CLCbought trailer and I am in Silver Spring ,MD. If anyone wants to see it.If interested I could also send pictures. Sorry for the delay in responding
Pascal

Postby DanaDCole on Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:57 am

Well, I'm still going to put in my two cents about rollers instead of the keel sitting on wet carpet and impossible to get at. I have already repaired some minor cracks underneath the keel--easy to do. Here are some shots of my modification.
ImageImage
Since taking these pictures I have slung the original bottom board under the trailer crossbeams to give me a place to walk when launching and recovering the boat. Keel is still easy to access. I had to purchase drop-in t-slot studs to make that happen though. (Also I have brought the bunks up to meet the hull.) The rollers were on the original Trailex design, but with no side boards to guide the keel. John Harris has approved of using the rollers along with the side boards. [NOTE: Make sure boat is positioned so middle roller supports centerboard!]
DanaDCole

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum