New builder here... some questions before I actually start

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re: New builder here... some questions before I actually start

Postby craig on Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:25 pm

Looks like we were typing at the same time :)

Bringing the bow together wasn't fun. Notice the wood blocks used to force the side panels to the bilge panels.
2.jpg
2.jpg (105.13 KiB) Viewed 6863 times

The dark meranti looks great varnished as the roof of the cabin.
1.jpg
1.jpg (54.52 KiB) Viewed 6884 times

I also used Meranti plywood as trim for the portholes.
3.jpg
3.jpg (52.42 KiB) Viewed 6850 times
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby kevinbright on Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:58 pm

Thanks... great looking boat! I really like the darker wood, especially on the interior.

Kevin
kevinbright

Postby DanaDCole on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:58 am

Just a few quick comments:

It looks like the meranti is about 23% heavier than okume. That is a significant amount (maybe 40-50 lb of cut plywood?), but not that much considering the overall weight. I still think it might be a good idea to use the meranti up to, say, the side panels, then finish the higher parts with okume. That way you have the heavier, stronger, more water-resistant parts down where you need all that, and you could eliminate some of the ballast or keep it if you want a super-stable boat.

John designed the boat so that it could be recovered from the water with a Honda Civic. The boat, including ballast, motor, etc. is already at or above the posted weight limit for the Trailex trailer (900 lb), but from what you have said I doubt you'll be splurging on a $3,000 trailer. A steel trailer is going to be about twice as heavy as an aluminum trailer, so you need to figure that into your hauling vehicle decision. BTW, I am using a Honda CRV to haul my boat and so far no problems at all, but I did buy the Trailex.

One reason CLC recommends okume is that they get it from sustainable forests, if that sort of thing matters to you.

Good idea to use BS 1088 meranti where it will be submerged because of its much higher rot resistance. As long as it is sealed in epoxy, this doesn't matter, but what if a submerged area is abraded down to bare wood and you don't know about it? This is obviously more significant for boats that "live" in the water most of the time. With my trailer modifications (see my post, "Modifications to Trailex Trailer") I can inspect every square inch of the hull while it is on the trailer. If your keel is mostly invisible inside the keel trough there could be damage you can't see. If the boat stays in the water (or sits on soaking wet carpet in the keel trough) meranti will still wick up water and eventually start to rot, etc.

I apologize that I was not aware (or had forgotten) that CLC approves of BS 1088 meranti. So there is no reason not to use it, but I still like the idea of using lighter plywood higher up on the boat. That would probably only require a couple sheets.
DanaDCole

Postby slick95 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:51 pm

Kevin,

I used Hydrotec BS 1088 mercanti ply for the complete boat. It is available locally with very good prices, plus no shipping. I'm lucky! Anyway, it was not difficult to work with and bending at the bow I use boiling water on rags and it pulled together nicely. Use .40 safety wire for this job (I used it throughout) and extra holes to help pull the bow together.
See my picture blog here:

http://sailboatbuild.blogspot.com/searc ... -results=1

Fun build and it goes fast...

Jeff
Jeff
Georgetown, Tx
Pocketship plans build "Old Soul"
slick95

Postby kevinbright on Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:02 pm

Jeff,

Thanks for the info... Great pictures in your blog, btw. I assume you're not finished?

Regarding the meranti, did you have any problems with splintering when cutting across the grain? I've read that that can be a problem with meranti.

Kevin
kevinbright

Postby slick95 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:33 pm

No problem with cross grain cuts. I use a fine tooth blade in the band saw and jig saw and a Diablo plywood blade in the table saw and circular saw. Also, it machines very nice with a jack plane as all my scarf joints were hand formed. The wood is very nice to work and looks nice with epoxy/varnish finish.

Not finished but getting close. I started the project last Feburary and I have the hull inverted applying the bottom fiberglass. The Pocketship is just a large collection of small projects assembled together...

Have fun,

Jeff
Jeff
Georgetown, Tx
slick95

Postby kevinbright on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:19 pm

Jeff,

I just got home and I was able to take a better look at all of your photos... I have to say I am very impressed. It looks like you're doing a fine job. Can't wait to see it finished. What colors are you planning?

Kevin
kevinbright

Postby slick95 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:48 pm

Thanks Kevin,

As for the color, I guess I need to figure that out soon because in a week or two ill be painting the bottom of the hull. My wife likes PocketShip number one colors and I do too.

This is really an enjoyable build; my first boat. Very similar in some circumstances to wood Homebuilt airplane construction with which I'm very familiar. Albeit very accurate work is not as necessary and weight increases don't matter so much.

Happy to answer your questions if I can but many here on this forum are the experts with lots of nautical experience. And the blogs are very helpful..

Have fun,

Jeff
Jeff
Georgetown, Tx
slick95

Postby kevinbright on Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:36 am

As an update, after extensive searching, calling and browsing, I was finally able to find a local supplier for meranti (Hydrotec BS1088). The total price for all the plywood, including the 3/4" piece for the transom will be $915.00 after tax :D

Can't beat that!

Hopefully I'll be on my way down to pick up the wood Saturday. I just need to borrow a friend's pickup truck. Now I just need to acquire the plans... did I mention that I cleaned my garage out last weekend?

Kevin
kevinbright

Postby craig on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:01 am

That is truly an incredible price for the plywood. Good job!
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

PreviousNext

Return to PocketShip Forum