Cutting the plywood from plans

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Cutting the plywood from plans

Postby kevinbright on Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:34 pm

I understand that the plans provided by CLC are 1:1 scale. That being said, I assume it is possible to lay the cut panels directly on the plans after they've been cut to ensure the accuracy of the cuts?

Thanks,

Kevin
kevinbright

Re: Cutting the plywood from plans

Postby craig on Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:45 pm

Sure, if you want.

Don't forget to measure twice, cut once!
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby Dmitriy on Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:28 pm

A little up for an old topic.

Maybe it will be useful.

When you copy the lines from the plans onto the plywood, you can use the "punching" method as recommended in the building manual. It works great for straight lines where you mark the start and end points and then connect them on the plywood with a rod or ruler. But what about long curves?

I use a ballpoint pen (not gel). Lay the paper plan on the plywood, flatten it out and fasten with pins or clamps. Make punctures at the ends of straight lines. Then, with a ballpoint pen, draw curved lines on the plan, pressing harder than usual, but avoid damaging paper.

When you remove the paper plan, you will see that the ballpoint pen has left a small groove in the plywood. You can see this better when you use a side light. And the last step is to draw this groove on the plywood with a pen or pencil. You have the correct curve on the plywood without the many holes in the paper plans.
Dmitriy

Postby Hooky on Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:13 am

I used carbon paper for the curved bits and found it worked really well, I cut the carbon paper into 6 inch strips and overlapped each piece, I allowed the paper plans to lay fat for a while prior to tracing over the plans and ensured there was no movement during the tracing process.
Hope this helps
Cheers Terry from down under
Hooky

Postby Dmitriy on Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:55 am

Hooky wrote:I used carbon paper for the curved bits and found it worked really well, I cut the carbon paper into 6 inch strips and overlapped each piece, I allowed the paper plans to lay fat for a while prior to tracing over the plans and ensured there was no movement during the tracing process.
Hope this helps
Cheers Terry from down under

Useful tip!
Dmitriy

Postby JonLee on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:41 pm

I transferred my plans with an awl, using the punching method described in the manual. It takes a long time, but is very accurate. I have yet to try it, but 've long suspected that you expedite the punching method using a sewing tracing wheel.
JonLee

Return to PocketShip Forum