How much copper wire?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

How much copper wire?

Postby riverron on Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:30 pm

How much copper wire will I need for the build? I have already purchased 2 25' rolls from CLC.

Thanks!
riverron

Re: How much copper wire?

Postby slick95 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:03 am

Bought one roll but did not use. The copper wire would not have been strong enough to pull any of the lower hull parts together. I used .041 aircraft safety wire, like this:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... ckkey=5661

Jeff
Jeff
Georgetown, Tx
Pocketship plans build "Old Soul"
http://sailboatbuild.blogspot.com/searc ... -results=1
slick95

Postby riverron on Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:45 am

Thanks Jeff for the heads up. I have read some of the challenges on here and some of the blogs about pulling the bow together. I did find a spool of electric fence wire I have that is a little bit thicker gauge, so I should be fine. I just don't want to run out once I get started.
riverron

Postby ddemasie on Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:05 pm

For my build I used a 19 gauge stainless steel wire that I purchased at Menard's.

The label says it is rated at 25 lbs, - it was sufficient for 90% off all the stitches I made - in those areas needing a little more force (like pulling together the bow sections) I just went with multiple stitches - spaced very close together.

It comes in 30' rolls - 3.99 per role. I think I used a total of 3 or 4 rolls throughout the build.
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Postby riverron on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:28 pm

Thanks for the feedback Dennis!
riverron

Postby John in CC on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:46 pm

A little advice on getting the seems together at the bow is to be prepared before the action takes place. Have your blocks and screws ready and don't worry about making a few extra holes. After reading all the horror stories I was ready and it really was not that big of a deal.
John in CC

Postby ddemasie on Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:28 pm

Here is a quick picture of initial hull bottom bow coming together with the 19 gauge stitching - needed to be about 2 inches apart and slowly, alternatively tightening the stitches - I let it 'rest' for a few hours between each tightening - took about 2 days total to get it completely together, but it worked with just the stitching you see here.
Attachments
Hull side - beginning Starboard side stitching 3.jpg
Hull bottom - Bow together with multiple 19 gauge stainless stitches
Hull side - beginning Starboard side stitching 3.jpg (119.31 KiB) Viewed 8960 times
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Postby John in CC on Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:19 pm

Nice job! I found warming up the plywood with a heat gun works pretty well. Have your screws and blocks ready to pull things together when you mate the uppers!
John in CC

Postby ddemasie on Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:14 am

Here is the picture of how I started the process - Used very long stitches to begin with that I tightened down a little at a time - and let it rest for a couple of hours, then came out and tightened again. I covered the plywood with a warm water soaked towel between tightening sessions. I did break a few stitches during the process by tightening a little too much in one 'session', but the other stitches always held the load while I quickly replaced the one that snapped.
Attachments
4 Hull - Joining at Bow - 2.jpg
4 Hull - Joining at Bow - 2.jpg (24.66 KiB) Viewed 8967 times
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Postby riverron on Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks for all the good advice!
riverron

Return to PocketShip Forum