Centerboard Epoxy & Inspections holes

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Centerboard Epoxy & Inspections holes

Postby riverron on Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:08 am

I started fiberglassing my inside centerboard trunks this past weekend :D and have a few questions about the edges.

1) I assume I need to put some epoxy on the inside edges of the inspections holes? All the other edges look or will be covered with epoxy or fiberglass. With all the talk/concern about this area, I wanted to make sure I was not leaving a opening for water to seep in.

2)The manual states that we epoxy the inside edges of the blocking? Did anyone put more than 1 coat on the inside edges of the blocking facing the centerboard?

Any other areas to make sure get some epoxy?

Thanks
Ron
riverron

Re: Centerboard Epoxy & Inspections holes

Postby ddemasie on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:18 am

My advice -

In general - every surface of my wood got at least 2 coats of epoxy for a good water seal. Inside the centerboard trunk is really important because after you put it together - you'll never have easy access to the inside again to repair any leaks in the epoxy coating. The Akoume plywood is light and strong, but the downside it that wicks water and rots if it gets wet - coats of epoxy are the best way to stop water seepage into the wood.

Also you should put a couple of applications of epoxy in the inside rims of the inspection port. - The inspection ports get covered with plastic covers,(apply the 3M Marine caulk on the entire inside surface around the covers to stop water leaks from the centerboard housing into the bilge at the inspection ports), - but even so, it is best to get a good epoxy seal on the inside of those inspection holes.
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Re: Centerboard Epoxy & Inspections holes

Postby riverron on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:58 am

Thanks Dennis. I will plan on coating at least 2 coats. My gut told me that was probably the case, but I wanted to get some confirmation.

Thanks
Ron
riverron

Return to PocketShip Forum