Newbie Fiberglass question?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Newbie Fiberglass question?

Postby riverron on Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:02 pm

First I will apologize since I will be asking a lot of questions during this build.

In the process of putting on the fiberglass, I have a small ridge that goes across the centerboard trunk. It looks like it is where I folded the fiberglass when I was laying it out. I only folded it over once, but I guess once to many. The glass looked perfectly smooth before wetting it out.

The pictures below are after the 2nd coat, so I still have coat 3 which will add more epoxy and even it out some.

This is the closeup using my IPhone and you can see some of the fiber material. The ridge is probably less than 1/32, but I can still feel it with my finger.

This is the view, which really does not look that bad.

I still have to sand, which will probably take the top off and resolve. Should I add more epoxy to that area and then re-sand again to make sure ALL wood is covered? Other things I should do?

thanks
Ron
riverron

Re: Newbie Fiberglass question?

Postby craig on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:39 pm

It doesn't matter. I would guess that the fabric was creased there and while the epoxy cured the fabric "lifted" slightly at that location, giving you a few white areas (white either means the glass wasn't wet completely with epoxy, or there is a bubble). When you sand the board after the third coat, the fabric over each white spot will sand away and you'll have a small hole. I don't think it matters because the underlying wood was thoroughly coated by epoxy when you laid the fiberglass initially, and because these are the tinyest blemishes ever. Just wait till the cabin interior! Many more chances for bubbles to form. If it makes you feel better, you could sand, then put some thickened epoxy into the pits, and sand smooth.

As for being raised above the surface of the wood, again, it's such a small spot that it's insignificant. Save your epoxy - you'll need it! Good luck!
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby riverron on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:44 pm

Thanks Craig. This being my first ever try at fiberglassing, I wanted to make sure I didn't need to do anything special before I start putting the centerboard trunk together and never seeing this part again.

I will see how it looks after the 3rd coat and normal sanding.

thanks
Ron
riverron

Postby craig on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:49 pm

Looks great to me. At least you didn't do what I did and say, "Oh, these are identical parts. So it doesn't matter which side I fiberglass" and then getting to the assembly phase and saying, "Oh look, these are identical parts. And mirror images. So yea, it totally mattered which side I fiberglass." And I got to fiberglass one side again.
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby truenorth on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:13 am

It was always a little strange to me, especially in hindsight, that such an important and delicate part of the build would be the first thing to be built. A lot can go wrong with the centerboard trunk. To new builders, I think starting with other indestructible pieces first like the cockpit seat(s) is a great way to get a feel for working with epoxy and 'glass without too much risk.

On the centerboard trunk, it looks right to me. You'll get better at overlapping 'glass and not worry about it too much. You'll also get really good at fixing mistakes :D My only advice here is to be sure that the inside facing parts are really smooth and flat, taking care not to sand too much. This is where the centerboard will swing up and down inside. Once all put together, you won't be able to access this anymore. The outside of this is highly visible for eternity (or, as long as you own the boat) so take your time and enjoy the build!
truenorth

Postby riverron on Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:39 pm

Thanks for the advice Larry! This build is going to be interesting. There is a LOT!!!!!! to learn and that what interests me. You will see many of my posts on this forum in the coming months. I have already learned to fix mistakes. I was coating the inside edges of the inspection ports. I did a good job until the next day I noticed a bunch of epoxy blobs where it dripped to the other side. Thats what they make cabinet scrapers and sandpaper for! :lol:

thanks
Ron
riverron

Postby John in CC on Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:55 pm

There are places you just can't sand with power. Hand sanding is the only way you can get to some (many) spots. I developed tendonitis in my left elbow first and began sanding exclusively right handed (I am right handed) until my right elbow came down with the same thing. The neoprene sleeves that fir over your elbow work really well.

Just thought I would throw that in since you just started the build. Also the point where you cover up the sole with cardboard and begin working on the upper parts is when the build goes from a bit of drudgery (but not bad just awkward) to the most fun I have ever had building anything!

Enjoy every minute and every problem solving moment. It is a blast. When you finish you will have and incredible sailing vessel that will give you such a rush of pleasure that can't possibly be matched by a store-bought boat. I envy where you are right now because I know the fun that you have in store!
John in CC

Postby chaertl on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:33 pm

On the safety side be careful between stitching the floors in and finally having them epoxied in. I saw one blog where the builder fell through the bottom and personally had a board slip out from under me when leaning over the centerboard trunk to fillet the other side. Wound up with a broken rib. Of coarse, it's never truly your boat until you've bled on it a little bit. Just keep it minor.

Take care,

Chris
chaertl

Postby riverron on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:50 am

Thanks for all the advice. I guess I need to make sure the Health and Homeowners insurance is up to date!

Another question on the Fiberglass. I finished the two centerboard trunk pieces with 3 coats and I am letting it cure now. I was looking at them last night and noticed that I could see the weave of the FG in some places. I assume I didn't get a good coating in these areas. I am thinking I will do a light scuff sanding and apply a 4th coat in some places. Since this is a critical piece of the boat I want to make sure I get it right. Any issues with this?

thanks
Ron
riverron

Postby chaertl on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:44 am

Hi Ron,

You'll never completely get rid of the weave in fiberglass. When the light hits it just right you'll always see a trace of it. The more important part in the trunk is a good waterproof coating of epoxy. Your previous picture looked just fine and just needed some fill coats and sanding to smooth it down. Cosmetics in this area are secondary.

Chris
chaertl

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum