Fiberglass: To patch or not to patch?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Fiberglass: To patch or not to patch?

Postby jwv630 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:44 pm

Hi Everyone

I'm in the process of putting down the first coat of epoxy over fiberglassing inside the hull; mainly the sections between the vertical floor supports. There are a number of 'bubbles' where the fiberglass did not stick to the hull, some large about 2". I'm going to cut the bubbles out - but I wasn't sure if I needed to patch them with a small piece of fiberglass. Some of these bubbles are sitting on the keel against the centerboard trunk.....Not concerned about the aesthetics - but thought that the patches would be required for strength.
May I have your opinion please. Thanks

Jimmy V
'Miss Jen II'
jwv630

Re: Fiberglass: To patch or not to patch?

Postby chaertl on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:03 pm

Short answer , yes. Overlap at least 2" in every direction to, especially on the ones next to the centerboard trunk.

Chris.
chaertl

Postby jwv630 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:32 am

Hey Chris

Yeah, many thanks. I sort of knew that was the right call. Just getting a bit lazy here trying to cut corners to get it done. Anyone going to OkeumeFest in May?

Jimmy
jwv630

Postby craig on Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:50 pm

I will be there with Titania
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby jwv630 on Sun May 01, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi Craig:

Do you plan to anchor Titania at the beach where OkoumeFest is being held? There is a launch ramp and some dockage at Matapeake Park a short way's from the CLC event on Saturday. Email me if you need a ride or anything else. I live about 1 hr away: [email protected] Love to see your boat; will try and introduce myself.

Jimmy V
jwv630

Postby craig on Mon May 02, 2016 10:22 am

Yes, I plan on anchoring just offshore. I was originally going to travel north along the coast, but now I can't take the whole week off to make the trip. I will instead drive to the area and park my trailer for a few days (probably Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night). Do you know of any ramps somewhere in the general area (within reasonable sail/motor distance of Okoumefest) where I can park my car for multiple days?

I look forward to meeting fellow Pocketship-builders there. I am in a frantic dash to finish some things on my perpetually-unfinished, perpetually-tinkered-with boat. We'll see.

- Craig
craig

Postby jwv630 on Mon May 02, 2016 11:52 am

Craig:

Sure, the Bay Bridge Marina is a great place to launch, dock, and leave your trailer for several days. It's located right at the east end of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. The CLC event on Saturday at Matepeake Park Beach is only about 2-3 miles south of the marina. Very large/nice marina; restaurants, shops, showers, etc. Here's the link: http://www.baybridgemarina.com/

Good luck
Jimmy
jwv630

Postby craig on Mon May 09, 2016 10:43 am

Jimmy:

Oddly enough, I contacted the bay bridge marina and they said they didn't have any ramps for launching boats. I'm not sure that makes sense, but regardless I did find out today that the Sandy Point State Park has 21 (!) boat ramps and overnight parking for just $6. So, I'll use them.
craig

Postby Pascal on Mon May 09, 2016 4:16 pm

Just saw this... Sandy point does have very nice boat ramp. I do use them often.
The marina has lift but no boat ramp. The Matapeake park does have one boat ramp very next to okome fest.
If the weather permit I hope to bring Naoned (pocketship). Hope to see you guys there.
Pascal

Return to PocketShip Forum