Timber

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Timber

Postby Dan_keller on Sun May 01, 2016 11:02 am

Hi all,

I notice Chesapeake offers several woods, which ones are all included in pocketship? In other words, is there cypress, Spanish cedar used as well as the Sitka, okoume, etc.?

Thanks. Dek...
Dan_keller

Re: Timber

Postby riverron on Sun May 01, 2016 8:11 pm

Dan,
I just got the Timber package. To be clear, it is not included in the base kit, but is extra.

I got the milled option, since I don't have the tools to do some of the milling. I was very impressed with the quality of what I received.
Each of the parts was labeled with what it is to be used for. I also asked them to tell me what each type of wood each part was.

Here is the response.

Your mast, yard & bowsprit, centerboard spacers, keel nose block, timber aft block, sheet blocks, and gallows pole blocks are made out of Sitka Spruce. Your boom is made out of Fir. The rails & toe rails and transom skirt trim are Fijiian Mahogany. Everything else including the keel, stringers, framing, deckbeams, floorboards, rudder parts, companionway and tabernacle are made from Cypress.

Hope this helps!

thanks
riverron

Postby Dan_keller on Wed May 04, 2016 1:41 pm

Great, thank you...

What is the tiller made of?

Also, do they use Spanish cedar?

Thanks, Dan.
Dan_keller

Postby riverron on Wed May 04, 2016 7:50 pm

The tiller and boom gallows timbers are not included in timber kit. I think that is left to builders choice and the boom gallows is optional in the build.

You will need to contact CLC about the Spanish Cedar. I can't speak to that.

thanks
riverron

Postby John in CC on Wed May 04, 2016 7:59 pm

I did my boom gallows and tiller out of laminated mahogany and maple. I didn't realize until now that there was no material in the kit for them, but yeah there is not.
John in CC

Postby chaertl on Wed May 04, 2016 9:13 pm

I've used Spanish cedar in kayak decks and might have laminated it with basswood for my tiller. Can't remember. Other then the sawdust being rather irritating it's actually a pretty nice wood to work with. Haven't had any problems in the boats it's been used in. It's been sealed up in fiberglass for the most part but one boat is eight years old and had the normal scratches that let some water in. The cedar didn't care at all but the pine developed some black streaks before it was repaired.

Chris
chaertl

Postby Dan_keller on Mon May 09, 2016 11:44 am

Can anyone tell me where they bought the tiller?

What type of tiller they bought that works well with Pocketship design?

Thanks. Dan
Dan_keller

Postby chaertl on Mon May 09, 2016 1:25 pm

Hi Dan,

I don't know where you can buy a finished tiller the correct shape but the original one on my boat was just cut from 3/4" oak. The Spanish cedar you mentioned earlier would work as well. I eventually laminated a new one up over the first winter storage but the plain one worked great, just got bored and went for a different look.

Chris
chaertl

Postby ddemasie on Tue May 10, 2016 1:33 pm

I 'outsourced' my tiller - it is very nice.

http://www.karlsboatshop.com/tillers.html
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Postby Dan_keller on Thu May 19, 2016 7:51 am

ddemise,

Could you send me the specifics of the tiller measurements, rise, etc.?

Thanks. Dan
Dan_keller

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum