Forward Deck Cleats

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Forward Deck Cleats

Postby jwv630 on Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:40 pm

Hi Everyone

I've just finished installing the lower breasthook (very challenging; not much hair left...). Now need to install cleats on the forward side panels for the anchor deck to sit on. The manual calls for the cleat to be 1" tall x 3/8" thick (page 84). Seems a bit thin to me....Others have used 1" x 3/4" for the cleats and have struggled with bending the wood so that it doesn't pull the side panel out of it's 'fair' line. Maybe something in between....?

Your opinion and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Jimmy
jwv630

Re: Forward Deck Cleats

Postby riverron on Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:46 pm

Jimmy,
I am not to that point in the manual, but reading on page 84-85 it looks like the 1 X 3/8 is just there for the deck to have something to glue to. Looks like the bulkheads are what is really holding the deck up. Reading ahead on pg 118-119, looks like we will be putting "generous" fillets under the deck, so this will be adding more support/strength. We could add small blocks to the strips to give more support, but it may make things more difficult to fillet between. What are your concerns? stepping in that area? Curious to what other builders have done or not?
riverron

Postby jwv630 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:30 am

Hi Ron and thanks.

Yes, my concern is someone particularly heavy stepping and breaking or going thru the anchor deck. Unlikely but...As I read pp. 118-119 it seems that the fillets are only applied between bulkhead 1 and bulkhead 2. I think I'm going to fiberglass the underside of the anchor deck even though it's not called for in the manual.....

Thanks again,
Jimmy
jwv630

Postby JonLee on Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:44 pm

Don't forget that there are some big mamma-jamma fiberglass-covered fillets on the upper surface of the foredeck that bond the foredeck to the topsides. You could do Riverdance on the foredeck without additional reinforcement.
JonLee

Postby jwv630 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:46 am

Hi Jon

Great; many thanks. Forgot about the fillets on top of the foredeck....Onward.

Jimmy
jwv630

Postby John in CC on Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:25 pm

jwv630 wrote:Hi Ron and thanks.

Yes, my concern is someone particularly heavy stepping and breaking or going thru the anchor deck. Unlikely but...As I read pp. 118-119 it seems that the fillets are only applied between bulkhead 1 and bulkhead 2. I think I'm going to fiberglass the underside of the anchor deck even though it's not called for in the manual.....

Thanks again,
Jimmy

I did fiberglass on the underside too.
John in CC

Return to PocketShip Forum