Sanding Interior Hull

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Sanding Interior Hull

Postby jwv630 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:42 am

Hey Guys:

I finished up fiberglassing the interior hull; got the lower breasthook in - both easier said than done...Scratching my head on the best way to now proceed; couple questions for your consideration:

*The manual says that now is time 'to clean up the rough spots' (p.80). So, is now the time to do a very thorough sanding throughout the entire interior hull in final preparation for painting - or is it better to wait until the cockpit deck cleats are all in and the floorboards are measured and cut - or maybe it doesn't matter.

*Not sure exactly what sanding 'to a truly finished surface' means (p.94)....I've sanded the stern compartment already with 120g (maybe should have used 80g? or 80g first; then 120g?) It's look good but there are still some shiny low spots. Do these spots need to be sanded completely out or is it 'good enough' as is? (Note: I am not a perfectionist and am trying to move the project along expeditiously - but don't want the work to look crappy either......)
Really appreciate your thoughts and help.
Jimmy V
Miss Jen II
jwv630

Re: Sanding Interior Hull

Postby JonLee on Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:01 am

Sand everything you have fiberglassed down to at least 120grit now (start with 80 grit to get rid of the worst of it, then switch to 120). As always, you can put it off until later, but access gets harder as cleats, etc. get installed.

You might have to do some touchup sanding later as you install cleats, and certainly there will be more when you install the topsides.
JonLee

Postby craig on Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:41 am

Regarding shiny low spots: depends on what they look like. If you can feel it with your finger, you can see it under paint. Tiny spots are perfectly fine. I found that when I had sanded down fiberglass until it was 90% done, there were little maybe 1-2mm spots left. Those are the ones you don't have to worry about. But, if you have a spot that you forgot to put a fill coat of epoxy into, and its a quarter inch wide, and obviously a depression below the level of the surrounding epoxy, then you should use some thickened epoxy to fill that out, or sand the surrounding epoxy lower to even it. Bear in mind that under the floorboards you won't see the paint job in the finished boat, so don't worry too much about perfection.
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby chaertl on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:48 pm

One thing to keep in mind is the recommended interior enamel paint won't adhere well to shiny epoxy. If the spot is larger then a quarter sand some more. The slight low area usually won't show if you're rolling paint on, spraying might be a different story.

Chris
chaertl

Postby jwv630 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:33 am

Thanks Boys...I'm on it.....

Jimmy
jwv630

Return to PocketShip Forum