Transom rake

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Transom rake

Postby Dan_keller on Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:15 pm

Has anyone tried to put a sharper angle on the transom so the hull looks somewhat like a herreshoff 12.5? Or haven 12?
If so, details of process would be great
Dan_keller

Re: Transom rake

Postby craig on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:38 am

Why would you do that? The transom is at 15 degrees (or thereabouts), which seems to be standard for outboard motor mounts. And for the shape of the rudder. And for the side and bilge panels. And a sharper transom would require two scarf joints to lengthen the side panels. Lots of things. I wasn't afraid of altering the plans to fit what I wanted to do, but only for the little things!
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby Dan_keller on Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:29 pm

Thanks Craig..I'm curious, though, if the pocketship really needs an outboard. If the wright if the boat is Alitalia over 800 lbs. seems that the outboard is not necessary...

Thoughts?
Dan_keller

Postby John in CC on Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:35 pm

I definitely needed an outboard last week during the Texas 200. The camp was located at the end of a narrow 6 mile channel that was into the 25 knot wind and into a stiff current. Oh yeah, the waves were 3 feet. I little assist from the outboard and I made it.
John in CC

Postby craig on Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:56 pm

Once last year, the wind died completely while I was still 3 miles from the boat ramp. I didn't have a motor at the time, so I did what I had to do: I started rowing. Pocketship moves nicely for a 1000 pound boat, but it is a 1000 pound boat and I could only manage 2 knots maximum with my little oar, and that was at maximum effort. Half an hour of that and I was starting to feel mighty tired. It only took two offers of assistance before I surrendered my pride and got a tow back to the ramp. So while I enjoy NOT using a motor, it is very convenient to have one. FYI, I've been very pleased with my Suzuki 2.5HP. It will propel Titania up to hull speed at just under half throttle. Last Saturday, I happened across a trimaran on the lake with a torn sail. The poor guy and his son were drifting helplessly downwind, so I paid forward my towing debt and brought him in to shore. Maximum throttle on the outboard moved us both at 4 knots against a headwind of 12 knots. I imagine that 2.5HP is all that a Pocketship could really use even in a worst-case scenario of pulling another boat.
craig

Postby chaertl on Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:20 pm

Just carry a teenager who's late for a date. Last time I had a motor die and the wind we just put a life jacket on her, tied a rope around her waist, and she swam it in about a mile and a half. Got pictures too!

Chris
chaertl

Postby ddemasie on Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:44 pm

I launched my Pocketship ("El Sea Bien") for the first time 2 weeks ago. Idid nto get any fgood pictures because I was busy sailing to for the first time :D -will post a few pictures as soon as I have a camera crew on the dock ready to do so.

For auxiliary power I planned on using a 62 lb thrust transom mounted trolling motor. Initial trial was successful - winds were about 5 to 7 knots- it allowed me to very quietly and smoothly motor away from the launch ramp/dock at a slow but steady pace, to give a chance to clear out of the way of the launch traffic, raise the main and sail away. Same returning - I was able to strike the sails a few hundred feet from the dock, an slowly motor back in under aux electric power. I got a top speed of maybe 2.5 knots. I could well envision using that configuration to motor me a few miles if the wind dies - no problem.

The very next weekend, I tried the same thing but had to deal with a 19 knot wind. The trolling motor was almost useless at that wind speed. It would not turn the boat into the wind, much less propel it forward.

My conclusion is that the electric works great on a small lake in light winds - I will use it for inland lakes. However, for any serious sailing on any large body of water where I could really need auxiliary power (like Lake Michigan where I intend to do a lot of sailing) - I will need to buy a 2 or 3 horse outboard (maybe the 2.3 HP Honda) and mount it on the transom with a proper mounting bracket that allows me to raise and lower the motor into the water.
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Postby riverron on Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:03 am

Dennis,
Congrats on the launch! We want to see pictures!!!!

For the motor, I definitely plan on installing one for safety and no wind conditions, but I think it really comes down to where you plan to sail. I will be sailing in Bays and large Rivers with some current/tides, so I feel the need for one. Will need to decide on what type. Gas (Honda or other), Propane (Lehr) and large electric (Torpedo). Any recommendations on any of the types?

thanks
Ron
riverron

Postby craig on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:30 am

The only auxiliary propulsion I've every used is my gas-powered 4-stroke Suzuki, so I can't compare between the three options. What I CAN tell you is that I'm very happy with my motor. It's the cheapest of the three options, has the most readily available power source, can be refueled easily on-the-go, and has more than enough power for Pocketship.
craig

Postby Shudoman on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:36 am

I use a Torqueedo on my PocketShip. It has no problem pushing the PocketShip at hull speed. The biggest issue is energy management. The Torqueedos tiller has an integrated GPS and energy management functions. It will tell you how much time you have at the current speed and how far that will take you. It seems very accurate. I carry an extra battery (expensive). During the FL 120 the clip that holds it out of the water when not in use bent during heavy seas and it was flopping around on my transom like a dead fish. Torqueedo knew of this problem and sent me a new heavier duty piece after I complained.

After figuring in expense, minor problems, the difficulty in getting parts, and the long battery charge time (I purchased their fast charger, again expensive). I would have to say that I would do it differently if I did it again. Now that LEHR sounds good...

Bill
Shudoman

Return to PocketShip Forum