New Pocketship Documentary

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

New Pocketship Documentary

Postby John in CC on Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:17 pm

It is my first attempt at a documentary. The doc is about the Texas 200 I just finished last week. It stars the Pocketship! Check it out!

https://youtu.be/EwAEeIBHr38
John in CC

Re: New Pocketship Documentary

Postby riverron on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:06 pm

Nice job! The trip looks "interesting" , but fun. Looks like some pretty strong currents.
Let us know what you discover about your centerboard.
riverron

Postby craig on Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:25 am

Enjoyed the documentary, thanks for making it. I would like to participate in an event like this some day. Looks exhausting but very rewarding.

A couple of thoughts on the video:

I'm not convinced (from what I see on film) that the centerboard is really stuck. Mine does the same thing: if moving, the board won't immediately fall. You have to either not be moving or going through a tack. If you lower it as far as it will go, then raise it and drop it again, it will slide down faster. Maybe you were just grabbing the pennant too soon after releasing it?

When anchoring at the first stop, I guess you pulled the anchor onto the beach. Did the stern of Pocketship try to swing around and go sideways to the shore, or did it stay bow-on? Basically, I'm wondering what the best way to anchor at a beach is. Maybe two anchors - one on shore and one in the water, so the boat will stay properly oriented?
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby ddemasie on Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:39 am

Wow.

I am all in, and planning to be at the Texas 200 next year in El Sea Bien.

I am starting my planning now.
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Postby slick95 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:47 am

Great video John!!!

This certainly helps in my planning for the Texas 200. Bringing "Old Soul" next year.

Thanks for your hard work to share your experience.

Jeff
Jeff
Georgetown, Tx
Pocketship plans build "Old Soul"
http://sailboatbuild.blogspot.com/searc ... -results=1
slick95

Postby Shudoman on Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:24 pm

That was an excellent video. Incidentally what turned out to be the problem with the centerboard?

Bill
Shudoman

Postby John in CC on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:07 pm

craig wrote:
I'm not convinced (from what I see on film) that the centerboard is really stuck. Mine does the same thing: if moving, the board won't immediately fall. You have to either not be moving or going through a tack. If you lower it as far as it will go, then raise it and drop it again, it will slide down faster. Maybe you were just grabbing the pennant too soon after releasing it?

When anchoring at the first stop, I guess you pulled the anchor onto the beach. Did the stern of Pocketship try to swing around and go sideways to the shore, or did it stay bow-on? Basically, I'm wondering what the best way to anchor at a beach is. Maybe two anchors - one on shore and one in the water, so the boat will stay properly oriented?

I hope you are right about the centerboard. Ill be checking it out on Saturday.

Definitely two anchors is a must for a trip like this. The boat stayed bow against the beach. At the other camps I was able to ground it where it would stay. The first camp I could not get the boat to "stick". Two anchors would have been perfect and much safer if one were to get lost. One of the many things I learned on the trip, but at least I didn't have to learn the hard way.
John in CC

Postby John in CC on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:08 pm

Wow Dennis and Jeff at the TX200 next year! It will be great to have a fleet of pocketships!
John in CC

Postby Bflat on Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:07 pm

Man, what a video; it's really interesting. How would you surmise the Pocketship compared to other boats in the event in regarding boat speed, ease of getting under weigh, and comfort?
Last edited by Bflat on Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bflat

Postby ddemasie on Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:12 pm

John - watched your video a couple of times - what turnbuckles did you use on your shrouds? Where did you get them?
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum