Recommendations for Initial Tack welds?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Recommendations for Initial Tack welds?

Postby riverron on Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:20 pm

I am in the process of stitching all the panels and bulkheads together and was wondering how others have done the initial tack welds and fillets? Are you climbing inside the boat or reaching over the sides? I am thinking if I climb inside the boat I will move some of the panels that I have spent a lot of time lining up correctly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
riverron

Re: Recommendations for Initial Tack welds?

Postby Wayne G on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:55 am

Hi Ron,
I'm new to this forum and have just about completed the hull. I would not recommend climbing into the flimsy structure until the bulkheads and sides are completely filletted; at that stage I'd recommend spanning the bulkheads with a board or some form of platform to climb onto. Also, I gave up on using wire for stitching and used cable ties. I did need to drill out the stitch holes a little but the ties were really easy to use and allowed for a very tight joint.
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Postby Pastorjim on Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:46 pm

For what it's worth, I actually did climb inside, always from the rear and always stepping on the keel, I used boards over the keel to distribute the weight as much as possible... (I didn't put the boards on the bulkheads/floors until after they were filleted in place) I would place like a 24 inch board in the area between the floors with one end of the board on the keel near the trunk. I would always put as much of my weight on the keel as possible. I am a pretty big guy, with short arms so leaning over the sides was not a physical possibility.

I did at one point envision a device like they used in "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" to hang from the garage ceiling, but my wife wouldn't let me do that LOL

I get the feeling that every way possible to do this delicate step has been used by the guys in this forum although, most don't seem to talk a lot about it. I did read one of the blogs where someone put their foot through the hull during this step, so work slow, and be careful.
As I said... for what it's worth
Jim
Pastorjim

Postby Wayne G on Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:34 pm

Hi Jim,
Yep, there must be endless ways to get to the end result, whatever works best for you is the right way to go. I would, if possible, avoid climbing into the stitched only structure, but that's just me.

BTW, I really enjoyed reading your amusing and touching blog (especially the injuries; good to know I'm not the only one).

Wayne
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Postby riverron on Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:47 pm

Thanks Wayne and welcome to the forum. Would like to hear more of your experiences. There is definitely a wealth of knowledge out here from the experienced builders.

Thanks Jim for the comments. It would be nice to have hang from the ceiling. I actually have a electric hoist that I have for my kayak. I am a little over the weight limit, but still a possibility! :lol:

From what you both have said, I think I will try to do everything outside the boat. I do have my cradle on dollies, which raises the height, but I have a work bench I bought from Home Depot last Christmas and that puts me at a good height. Below is the part number. Very sturdy.
Gorilla Ladders Model # GLA-47WP Internet # 206127529 Store SKU # 1001396548

I probably will buy another one as well as a a small step ladder.

thanks for the help!
riverron

Postby riverron on Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:51 pm

Wayne G wrote:Hi Jim,
Yep, there must be endless ways to get to the end result, whatever works best for you is the right way to go. I would, if possible, avoid climbing into the stitched only structure, but that's just me.

BTW, I really enjoyed reading your amusing and touching blog (especially the injuries; good to know I'm not the only one).

Wayne

I second that. My hands look like I have dragged them through a rose bush 20 times. I tried to use the tight mechanics gloves, but I still had a lot of cuts.
I guess, no pain not gains!
riverron

Postby chaertl on Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:32 pm

Hi Ron,

All good advice here but be careful with the loose boards over the floors. I had one slip out from under me and broke a rib on the front corner of the centerboard trunk. I wouldn't recommend trying to lean very far while standing on one.

Chris
chaertl

Postby riverron on Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:25 am

Chris, I hope you are all better and I will definitely be careful and note stepping on the loose boards. I am taking things slow and following all the safety measures I read. John is going to have to put "build at your own risk" in the manual!
riverron

Return to PocketShip Forum