Turnbuckles

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Turnbuckles

Postby tj55 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:44 pm

Does any know what Safe Working Load or Working Load Limit you need for turnbuckles for shrouds?
tj55

Re: Turnbuckles

Postby craig on Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:21 pm

You want turnbuckles that can handle at least the safe working load of the weakest point in the system the designer has specified. That could be either the 5/32 wire or the Padeyes -- I'm not sure which is weaker. I would just go with the safe working load of the wire (700 pounds I believe) and get turnbuckles that can handle that load.

For what it's worth, I read somewhere that 20 knots of wind will exert 1 pound of force per square foot of sail. Of course then you have to consider gusts, shock loads, damaged cable, etc, and put in the appropriate safety margin. I also believe the safe working load of the blocks used for the jib and mainsail have a safe working load of 350 or so pounds, but your question was about the shrouds, so that wouldn't matter I guess.
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby ddemasie on Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:33 pm

I am not sure what is required, but I just purchased 2 stainless turnbuckles from Duckworks that I plan to use for my shrouds that are rated at 1980 lbs breaking strength - each of the 2 could be used to hold the weight of my whole boat.

Based on Craig's response that should be plenty. :)
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Postby Bflat on Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:27 pm

On page 270 of the build manual John calculates that lashing the shrouds with about 30 turns of 2mm spectra line is "brutally strong (4500 pounds)." That's probably overkill (that's per shroud), but might indicate what John has in mind.
Bflat

Postby tj55 on Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:56 pm

Thanks for all the info. Got a couple of turnbuckles that appear to do the trick.
tj55

Return to PocketShip Forum