Tricks to fiberglass vertical pieces?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Tricks to fiberglass vertical pieces?

Postby riverron on Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:11 am

I started the fiberglassing in the rear transom / bulkhead 8 area and I am having a little difficulty in doing the vertical pieces. I am using a brush to apply as stated in the manual, but in order to get it wetted out properly, I am having to apply too much epoxy. It is dripping down to the fillet area and causing it to float some and move when I apply with brush.
I also see the glass threads coming off where I have cut cleats. This causes a glob of fiber to form, which I have to remove.
The horizontal pieces are fine and I am using a brush roller on them, but I can't build a flat boat! :lol:

Any tips on applying Epoxy on vertical fiberglass?
riverron

Re: Tricks to fiberglass vertical pieces?

Postby Bflat on Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:23 pm

You're on the right track using a brush when glassing vertical surfaces. Using a dabbing motion rather than a brushing motion can help keep the glass edges intact (a brushing motion at the edge will tend to pull the glass apart). I've sometimes found it useful to brush out a little epoxy on the vertical surface before
putting the glass down. That helps to both hold it in place and means you don't have to use as much epoxy to saturate the cloth. That can help keep you from getting too much epoxy in there and having it "float." If you do get too much epoxy on a surface you can squeegee it off with a plastic squeegee or even absorb it with paper towel (again, using a dabbing motion; not a wiping one). I hope that helps.
Bflat

Re: Tricks to fiberglass vertical pieces?

Postby riverron on Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:18 am

Thanks Bob, that definitely helps. My 2nd piece turned out better than the first. Imagine that. I also watched a video on Off Center Harbor site that helped. They were brushing the vertical pieces on using horizontal strokes. That was part of my problem pulling the fiberglass off the wood and having to get more epoxy on to get it back on. I think I will be good now. Thanks again!!!
riverron

Return to PocketShip Forum