Plywood for upper breasthook

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Plywood for upper breasthook

Postby DanaDCole on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:28 am

I need to replace the upper breasthook (and surround) for reasons I am too embarrassed to relate. Well OK, if you must know I hit powerlines (in a camping area where I did not expect them) with the mast up on my trailer. Lesson learned: NEVER move the boat on a trailer with the mast up, no matter how short the distance. (Actually I learned a lot of hard lessons at Lake Eufaula last week, but this one was definitely the hardest.) So, the bowsprit was torn in half (longitudinally so I can glue it back together) the upper breasthook was ripped out, along with parts of the anchor-well sides, and the tabernacle was damaged. The tabernacle is not a problem because the one I have on there now is made of red oak and was always meant to be temporary. Thankfully it is not glued in, just bolted. (Why glue it anyway, the stays and shrouds take all the stress and I'd rather replace the tabernacle than the mast.)

ALL that being said, I need a small bit of plywood to fashion a new breasthook. Anyone know of a source where I can avoid buying an entire 4x8 sheet? Otherwise I'm considering using exterior luan and sealing it up extra well with epoxy. I don't think it has much structural function other than forming the stringers into a proper bend. It seems to me the lower breasthook has more to do with structure.

Any opinions or ideas are welcome.
DanaDCole

Re: Plywood for upper breasthook

Postby ddemasie on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:52 pm

Wow - traumatic event for your pocketship - sorry to hear of the incident.

I don't have a ready source for new breasthook material, but CLC does have pre-cut breasthooks that I received in my kit. I'm not sure if the breasthooks (upper and lower) were a part of the original kit, or part of the milled lumber package as I purchased both at the outset of my building experience.

I'd suggest a call or email to CLC - I would bet they would gladly help with the correct material.

I am fascinated by your story - can you post before and after pictures when you get it repaired?
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Postby JonLee on Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:11 pm

I'd consider making one from solid timber...piece it together from a few piece of 1" mahogany or oak and fiberglass it top and bottom.

(I shouldn't think this is necessary, but...) If you wanted to simulate plywood-like material properties, you could build it up by laminating two thinner layers of timber with the grain oriented 45deg/-45deg relative to the centerline of the boat.
JonLee

Postby slick95 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:49 pm

Dana,
I have plenty of 9mm ply left over that you can laminated for the breast hook. I'll be happy to send to you. PM me and let me know if this would help.
Jeff
Jeff
Georgetown, Tx
Pocketship plans build "Old Soul"
http://sailboatbuild.blogspot.com/searc ... -results=1
slick95

Postby DanaDCole on Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:58 am

I have ordered plywood scraps from CLC--they will include an 18mm piece if they have one. Otherwise, I'll take you up on your offer, Jeff.
In answer to ddemasie's request, here are some "before" pictures:
Here's what's left of the anchor well after the bowsprit was ripped out. I was planning to rework it anyway, just not so soon!
We finally found the breasthook inside the cabin!
The bowsprit was split in such a way that I should be able to glue it together and use it. Will make a new one later.
I didn't get a picture of the tabernacle--it is inside the sail cover. As I said, I made a temporary one out of red oak (not good for marine use), and plan to replace it with white oak anyway.

This all happened at the "Sail Oklahoma Messabout" on Lake Eufaula. Charlie Huie hauled his Pocketship from his home near Little Rock to attend the event. We had some other mishaps the first day--I ended up with a hematoma on my leg, and our destination turned out to be a lee shore in 15-18 knot winds, so we needed help getting off it (had to cheat and motor out--don't tell John). The second day was beautiful though--nearly perfect sailing weather. I took Al Stead, who was from Minnesota, along and he taught me quite a bit about sailing. There was not a good turnout this year--the people who run the event are starting to tire out--but we still had folks from all over the country and one I know of from England. Sadly he damaged his boat on an underwater stump--will probably not be coming back to Oklahoma! Despite all the mishaps we had a great time and learned many lessons--some the hard way. Lake Eufaula is the largest in Oklahoma and has a lot of nice, sandy beaches.
DanaDCole

Postby craig on Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:23 pm

Wow, sorry to hear that! Must have been a terrible shock when it happened. At least the damage seems limited in scope. It would be another thing entirely if the cabin bulkhead failed or something. Thank goodness!

Now we know where the weakest link on the mast is. I presume the metal wire didn't break - instead, the bowsprit split to relieve the tension. I guess it's also good the sail forestay wasn't damaged. All in all, I think you were pretty lucky!

- Craig
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby riverron on Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:27 am

Sorry about your mishap, but it looks like you should be able to repair. I also have some extra plywood if needed.
My last sailing trip I also clipped a tree with my other boats mast at the ramp , but thankfully no damage. We all need to be aware of low hanging trees or cables. It's easy to do.
riverron

Postby Bflat on Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:38 pm

Dana,
Man, what a bummer. Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if your bobstay was attached to the bow eye during the accident. I doubt it would make much difference since with enough force something will break, but perhaps not before giving fair warning if supported by the bobstay. In photos I've noticed that lots of Pocketships (prototype included) are on trailers that require the bobstay be detached.
Bflat

Return to PocketShip Forum