Notes From PocketShip #1's Refit in 2016

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Notes From PocketShip #1's Refit in 2016

Postby John C. Harris on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:31 am

I've been compiling photos and notes for a proper blog post covering PocketShip #1's major refit last spring. The boat got a teak-veneered transom, a fresh paint job, a hollow carbon-reinforced gaff, and a number of small-but-interesting rigging tweaks.

Below is a collection of odds and ends from the project that will be interesting to PocketShip builders, especially since PocketShip #1 is the oldest of the class and probably the most vigorously sailed.

1 - Bottom and Centerboard.jpg
1 - Bottom and Centerboard.jpg (589.57 KiB) Viewed 6270 times

The boat was forklifted off the trailer for the first time since 2008 for fresh bottom paint. (For slings, I used rope passed through the bow eye and the drain holes in the transom.)

The first thing that I noticed was that the centerboard was sticking out of the trunk quite a lot further than intended. In spite of using low-stretch line for the pendant, apparently mine had stretched almost four inches in eight years. (Someone else had noted this on the Forum recently.)

The exposed top of the board must have caused substantial parasitic drag under way, though I never noticed. Perhaps the as the pendant stretched, the increase in drag crept up very slowly over the years. I replaced the pendant, and will make a note to take up on the stopper-knot about a half-inch per year!

2 - Bottom and Centerboard.jpg
2 - Bottom and Centerboard.jpg (366.45 KiB) Viewed 6261 times

Given all of the hand-wringing on this bulletin board over the durability of the bottom of the keel, I was especially curious to see what mine looked like. Quite a lot of wear, as you can see. Interestingly, in the context of threads posted here over the years, I found ZERO evidence of water incursion or damage to the plywood and timber of the keel assembly. The wood was dry and extensive poking revealed no evidence of rot. I patched the keel with a couple of coats of epoxy, and that's the end of that. I'd fret about it more if the boat lived on a mooring six months of the year.

Tabernacle Pivot Bolt.jpg
Tabernacle Pivot Bolt.jpg (892.72 KiB) Viewed 6329 times

I replaced and upgraded some of the rigging. One curiosity uncovered was that the pivot bolt in the mast tabernacle had acquired a significant bend! Since much of PocketShip's sailing loads get converted into mast compression, this is a testament to how much power the rig is producing. It's not easy to bend a well-supported 5/16" stainless bolt. Doesn't pose any danger to the assembly. I bent it straight again and reinstalled it.

Broken Track 1.jpg
Broken Track 1.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 6339 times

Broken Track 2.jpg
Broken Track 2.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 6268 times

Another one to file under "This is a Powerful Sailboat." While I had the mast off, I inspected the sail track. At the point where the yard gooseneck sits when the mainsail is at full hoist, and also where it sits when reefed, the #6 stainless screws were sheered right off and the track was no longer fastened to the mast! Again, that takes some horsepower, though I note that PocketShip #1 has often been pushed to the limit in strong winds. I drilled fresh holes in the track, and doubled up the number of screws in the area where the yard pushes against the track at full hoist and when reefed.

When I get a chance, more notes and photos on the teak-veneered transom, new ultralight gaff, and single-line reefing upgrade.
John C. Harris

Re: Notes From PocketShip #1's Refit in 2016

Postby John in CC on Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:39 pm

Checking on my centerboard after the Texas 200 where I found out the lips on the inspection ports were dragging on the the centerboard I also found a bit of stretch in the pendent.
John in CC

Postby Bflat on Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:50 pm

I'm just beginning some of the early rigging of my Pocketship. I am VERY interested in what other rigging modifications have taken place on Pocketship No. 1. I have already left off the sail track from the gaff, intending to instead, lace it on to save weight. Can't wait to see that graphite reinforced gaff.
Bflat

Postby Bflat on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:12 pm

I'm curious if anyone who has already sailed their boat hard has broken mast track screws like John noted happened on Pocketship No. 1.
Bflat

Postby John in CC on Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:21 pm

Bflat wrote:I'm curious if anyone who has already sailed their boat hard has broken mast track screws like John noted happened on Pocketship No. 1.

I had a couple of the track screws pull out last year. The main problem was that I used too short of screws. I took them all out and bought some thin penetrating epoxy and soaked each hole in the mast with it to reinforce the treads. Maybe not necessary but it did make me feel better when I replaced the screws with the proper ones. Also I drilled and doubled up on some holes and screws at the base of the track on the mast. I have had my pockeship out in some brutal conditions with no problems in the rigging.
John in CC

Postby DanaDCole on Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:41 pm

I finished the boat in 2014, so I'll take up the stopper knot about 1 1/2". Would rather the CB a little too high than too low.

One thing I've noticed on my boat is that the varnish is not holding up too well. I did some quick scuffing and added a couple coats of varnish on all the timber parts today. There were areas that have turned dark, almost black, and areas that look like bare wood, which I don't understand--these are not areas of high wear. Thankfully, I have a sail cover, so I see none of these problems on any of the spars.
DanaDCole

Return to PocketShip Forum