Cockpit Deck/Footwell Cleats

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Cockpit Deck/Footwell Cleats

Postby jwv630 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:33 pm

Hi Guys:

Been away from building for while but back on it now. Quick basic question for your consideration:

Cockpit Deck Cleats: I'm getting ready to install the 1"x 3/4" cleats to the sides of the hull and transom; these will support the cockpit deck and footwells.
Pages 86/89 in the manual states that the cleats need to be 'epoxied (thickened?) to side of the hull and transom, held in place temporarily with drywall screws driven thru the side of the hull'. Questions:
*Use thickened or unthickened epoxy?
*What size drywall screw? (or maybe there's a better type of screw for this purpose)
*Drive the screw from outside the hull - or from the inside??
*Distance between screws?
Many thanks!
Jimmy V
jwv630

Re: Cockpit Deck/Footwell Cleats

Postby mark48 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi and welcome back,

My answers:

1. Thickened epoxy (CLC staff have told me that anytime wood is being bonded to wood, use thickened epoxy.)
2. I used 1.25" "green" sheet-rock-type screws which were sold to me as being a bit stronger than normal sheet-rock screws as being intended for outside deck use. (I was concerned that the screws not break off when I extracted them through an epoxied joint the next day so I looked for a stronger screw. None broke, but maybe it was overkill.) I also put each screw through a small ~1" square pad of leftover plywood scrap so the screw tip did not penetrate the stringer.
3. I drove the screws from the outside of the hull, except cleats glued to the transom; in that case I drove the screws from inside to preserve the transom appearance.
4. Every 6 inches.

Good luck,
Mark
mark48

Postby riverron on Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:21 pm

Some other tips. I used some basic drywall screws I already had. They were fine threaded and I installed them from the inside. I would us a hand screwdriver, because a power drill can split the cleats with too much torque.

Add some cabosil as a thickener if you have some to the epoxy.

For the beveled edge on the side panels and transom, 15 degrees worked well for me. I setup my table saw to make the cuts.

I am finishing up my cleats now. I have a few pictures on my blog.

Good luck and take your time!
riverron

Postby jwv630 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:15 pm

Ron and Mark:

Many thanks. Clear now...I'm on it.

Jimmy V
jwv630

Return to PocketShip Forum