Question on Floor Boards

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Question on Floor Boards

Postby riverron on Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:19 pm

I am down to the last two floor boards to install on both port and starboard side. The last board on each side looks to not have a lot of floor cleat to drill into.
I have 1 3/4 length bronze screws. Did anyone else have this problem and what did you do to resolve it? Did you use shorter screws or even drill diagonally? Not sure that would look right. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
riverron

Re: Question on Floor Boards

Postby slick95 on Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:30 am

Ron,
I used shorter screws. I don't recall the length but I think 1" will work with your counter sink in those boards. I was just careful not to drill through the hull. Also, I thought the shorter screw was better so if in the future I was installing these boards I did not want to screw through the hull.
Jeff
Jeff
Georgetown, Tx
Pocketship plans build "Old Soul"
http://sailboatbuild.blogspot.com/searc ... -results=1
slick95

Postby Bflat on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:43 am

fullsizeoutput_363.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_363.jpeg (128.71 KiB) Viewed 4879 times

My solution was to just make the outermost floor boards wider than the rest. I considered cutting a groove in them to make them look more like the others (a faux slot), but upon laying them in the boat found that I liked their looks just fine.
Bob
Last edited by Bflat on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bflat

Postby riverron on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:51 am

Thanks for the ideas. I just purchased some shorter screws from CLC, so they should be here later this week. I will see how that does with a scrap piece.

Bob, I like the idea of the one board, but I purchased the timber kit from CLC, so I would have to order another wider piece.
I could consider epoxying the 2 outer boards together, but not sure how good the seem would look. Probably not at that good. I may try some scraps to see how it does look.

The other idea I came up with was to cut the second board thinner, which would give the outer board more room, but again I have the kit timbers and I don't think the last piece would be long enough at that point.

Appreciate all the ideas!!!

thanks
riverron

Postby mark48 on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:26 am

Hi,

I know some builders have simply left the outboard floorboards without screws to hold them down. I'm told they don't move around....

Mark
mark48

Postby riverron on Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:24 pm

Mark, thanks for the option, but I think I have a solution. I cut the outermost board last night and was looking and things. I decided to screw the two boards together to form one big board like Bob suggested. I used a countersink, so you won't see it. I could also put a plug in it to hide as well. Since I am using the timber kit, I only have the boards in the kit to work with, without ordering more. I may epoxy them together to hide the seam more, but I think it looks good.

riverron

Return to PocketShip Forum