Tow vehicles, CG and tongue weight

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Tow vehicles, CG and tongue weight

Postby Bflat on Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:30 pm

What tow vehicles are being used to pull Pocketships? I'm curious what people are finding to be good. It would be good to hear of experiences both good and bad concerning towing.

Relatedly, Where about is the Center of Gravity located (more or less) on the boat when all fitted out and mast folded down? This would be helpful to know when positioning the boat on trailer as concerns tongue weight. I'm sure this is all moot for those with the Trailex Trailer designed for the Pocketship, but lots of us (me) have something else.

Thanks in advance,
Bob
Bflat

Re: Tow vehicles, CG and tongue weight

Postby Shudoman on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:05 am

Hi Bob,

I'm using a 2015 Mazda CX-5 with a towing capacity of 2000 pounds. It tows and launches the PocketShip without a problem but the gas mileage really tanks.

I have a custom aluminum trailer that I bought to conserve weight and was less than the Trailex and I didn't have to put it together. I positioned the boat so that I have about 175 lbs on the tongue. The tracking at this weight is good, somewhere on this site is a spreadsheet that someone published listing weights and configurations. Don't remember where though.

Bill
Shudoman

Postby Bflat on Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:08 pm

Thanks for that info Bill.
Any idea what your trailer weighs? Likewise any idea what the combined weight of your boat and trailer when towing is?
Thanks again,
Bob
Bflat

Postby Shudoman on Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi Bob,

The one and only time I weighed it I had a weekends worth of gear and the outboard on the trailer and it weight 1564 lbs. Since it was well within the towing capacity of my car I never bothered to weigh it again. I don't remember exactly what my trailer weight but if memory serves me it was in the mid 500lb area.

Regards,
Bill
Shudoman

Postby craig on Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:27 pm

The magnum opus of Pocketship weighing was done by Pete for Tattoo in two posts:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=345

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=395

His weights are very much on the heavy side of things. I think my entire setup is 1100 pounds or less but I'm too scared to get it weighed. I probably should though.
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Return to PocketShip Forum