Jeff's pocketship- It's DONE!! except for the sails 4/4/11

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Jeff's pocketship- It's DONE!! except for the sails 4/4/11

Postby jeff on Mon May 04, 2009 2:50 pm

Just a few new pics to share - 04/04/11

Sorry that there are two threads to my posts. It didn't seem like there was an option for deleting prior posts. Thanks for checking out my pics. Enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35243545@N ... 619831460/

-Jeff
Last edited by jeff on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 17 times in total.
jeff

Re: Jeffs pocketship progress

Postby decurtis on Mon May 04, 2009 7:49 pm

Nice work with the spray in foam. I considered using spray in foam but the most economical kit I have found so far is $335 for 16 cubic feet. The equivalent amount of styrofoam 4x8 sheets will be less than $50. But your job looks so good and professional I might have to reconsider my choice.
decurtis

Postby SHyland83 on Mon May 04, 2009 8:24 pm

Does anyone see any problem in using the Great Stuff spray in foam that's made for windows and doors? I assume it would take way too many cans? would it be cheaper than the stuff that's made for this purpose?
SHyland83

Postby jeff on Mon May 04, 2009 9:38 pm

The foam flotation is a product I found on the internet from Jamestown Distributors. It's flotation foam, coast Guard approved and is a two part mix. I purchased one gallon and one quart for 115.00 plus shipping. This stuff is very easy to use and works great. Their are no voids. I think I have enough to do all the areas requiring flotation. I'll let you know. I used the 6" pvc pipe because it seemed like such an easy way to provide permanent access to the bow eye bolts without worrying about the blocks of foam moving around and blocking access.
jeff

Postby Keith on Sat May 16, 2009 4:40 am

jeff wrote:The foam flotation is a product I found on the internet from Jamestown Distributors. It's flotation foam, coast Guard approved and is a two part mix...

I don't have the plans yet. It makes sense to do so, but are the standard instructions to fill the forward conpartment with foam?
Keith

Postby SHyland83 on Sat May 16, 2009 5:49 am

In the manual he suggest to fill it with pieces of 2" foam board. He cut it up into pieces and fit it in like a puzzle. You definitely want to fill the airtight compartments with some sort of foam flotation it's just a matter of pouring it in or not.
SHyland83

Postby Keith on Sat May 16, 2009 7:53 am

SHyland83 wrote:In the manual he suggest to fill it with pieces of 2" foam board...

Thanks for the info. That reminds me... a few months back, a friend was mixing up some two-part expanding foam. The reaction was explosive. It expanded far more, and far more rapidly than it should have. He took it back to the dealer and they told him "it was a bad batch" and that there had been a recall. The replacement expanded at a more normal rate and amount.
Keith

Postby SHyland83 on Sun May 17, 2009 6:42 pm

Jeff, what did you do about the hole for the drain plug in Bulkhead 1 before you poured the foam? I was thinking about closing up the hole, i figure if the compartment is filled with foam.
SHyland83

Postby decurtis on Sun May 17, 2009 7:54 pm

I assumed the hole was only there if you needed electrical connections for running lights etc. Otherwise ,it is supposed to be a watertight compartment and should be sealed up once you have run the wires through the hole.
decurtis

Postby jeff on Sun May 17, 2009 11:28 pm

I covered the drain plug/electrical hole with tape and will install a plastic screw in plug later. The two part foam was super easy to use, and very controllable.
jeff

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum