Tapered hatch opening

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Tapered hatch opening

Postby hgmd02 on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:07 pm

Has anyone considered making the hatch opening wider at the top than at the bottom? The idea would be that you'd only have to slide each drop board up a few inches to remove it, rather than sliding them up their full length as it is now, with straight sides.
Drop boards are rectangular now, with this mod they would be trapezoidal.
Dave in Minnesota
hgmd02

Re: Tapered hatch opening

Postby riverron on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:40 am

I like the idea and it is a possibility for the plan builders. I have the kit and it is already cut out for you, so I would not be able to implement.
riverron

Postby TassiePete on Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:58 pm

It would also be possible to make the retainer covers a bit wider and have the retainers tapered (i.e. the bits that stop the boards moving sideways). The tapered wash boards (drop boards) can then be lifted out without 'hoisting' all the way up. The overlap of the retainer covers will have to be fairly narrow and precise.
TassiePete

Postby hgmd02 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:16 pm

Thanks! I am thinking of retrofitting, by installing new retainers that are wider at the bottom.
Probably also will make a bigger, wider, and more rounded bottom piece to make it more comfortable to sit in the hatchway.
Dave in Minnesota
hgmd02

Postby DanaDCole on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:21 pm

I can't understand why CLC didn't design the hatch that way to begin with. The sides would only have to be tapered a tiny amount so I don't think it is a structural problem. It would be nice not to have to lift the dropboards all the way up with the sails in the way, but the other thing is the dropboards have to be lifted and lowered perfectly straight or they constantly bind.

Perhaps I need to shorten the boards a teensy bit and/or round the corners a bit. Would appreciate some feedback if anyone else has done this, or has another solution. I'm using the lexan dropboards that came with the kit.
DanaDCole

Return to PocketShip Forum