Companionway hood issues

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re: Companionway hood issues

Postby slash2 on Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:12 pm

Thanks Doug.

Great idea on the drip edge. I know what you are talking about, as I did the same thing on the fascia boards on my house.

When I was trial fitting the companionway hood and slide I also noticed that the forward edge of the slide was really close to the trim on the opening. I thought I had miss-measured something, but maybe not. I was thinking of adding a rubber drip shield behind the forward edge of the slider. The bevel is also a good idea there.

BTW, I bought a trailer yesterday. It was a used trailer built for a Precision 165 with short fixed keel. It looks like a really good fit for the Pocketship. I'll detail it out when I make the changes needed for my boat - probably this summer.
Steve Sawtelle
slash2

Postby mark48 on Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:31 pm

Greetings to the entire PS community,

I am adding a new concern regarding the maintenance of my PS companionway hood. The issue concerns apparent deterioration of the underside of the aft (sloping) portion of the companionway hood, discovered as I was putting the boat away last fall. Here’s a close-up photo. Those are actually cracks in the wood, and are duplicated on the port side as well. (Also, the underside appears to have hosted a growing colony of mold…?) I can scrub off the mold - if that’s what it is - but my larger question is what to do with the hood to repair / protect it, and if possible what happened. I find it virtually inconceivable that I would have somehow omitted epoxying that surface of all the parts of the boat but now I’m wondering how else this could have occurred to an underside surface, not bearing any load or wear-and-tear. The companionway hood has wintered over in my dry and warm basement, so I think I can be reasonably sure that the wood is dry and I would not be sealing moisture within the cracks.

Do I sand off all the paint, then apply new epoxy hoping to both seal the surface and perhaps close up the cracks, and then repaint? Advice welcome, most assuredly, and thank you all.

All the best,
Mark Nunlist
"Puffin"
Lebanon, NH
Attachments
Companionway hood stbd close-up.jpg
Companionway hood stbd close-up.jpg (191.64 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
mark48

Postby dbeck on Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:16 am

Mark,

just two thoughts.

The missing paint/epoxy at the cutout looks like mechanical wear. If this cutout touches the cleats glued to the left/right of the opening, one could maybe improve the guidance of the slide in the hood by using wider plastic rails ...

I'd be afraid of mold elsewhere, as an example at the underside of the foredeck between bulkheads #1 and #2. Is there ventilation in the cabin when the boat is not in use (vents open)?

Dietrich
dbeck

Postby Bflat on Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:45 am

It looks like normal "checking" of unprotected end grain. The solution you posed (sand, epoxy, paint) is a good one, I think.
Bob
Bflat

Postby [email protected] on Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:34 pm

It looks like the bottom edge was almost bare wood (definitely no epoxy), and rainwater or condensation accumulated there, leaving it wet for much of the time.
[email protected]

Previous

Return to PocketShip Forum