Reefing and sail stop

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Reefing and sail stop

Postby Bflat on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:54 pm

Just put in a couple trial reefs with the boat in the driveway (haven't launched yet). I had to remove the sail stop to get the new tack down near the gooseneck. That's not difficult, but when it comes time to shake the reef out I have to get the cars back on the track - a little inconvenient. Is this what others are finding? I did some other trial reefs without removing the stop and the tack is much higher when reefed. That may be acceptable, but I'd be interested to find out what others are doing.
Studying John's video it looks like he has indeed let some cars off the track when reefing, but he doesn't mention it.
Thanks in advance,
Bob
Bflat

Re: Reefing and sail stop

Postby riverron on Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:43 am

I am still building, so no real world experience to provide. I watched the video and agree it looks like he lets the bottom go off the track. I would assume that if you feel the need to reef, the weather most likely would not improve immediately and you would keep the reef in for some time. When you don't remove the sail off the tracks, does it change the shape of the sail? Will be curious to what the others are doing when they reply.

So when is splash time?
riverron

Postby Bflat on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:53 pm

Yes, not removing the sail stop does affect the sail shape when reefed, but I've only been able to see it with the boat on my driveway. I'll have to experiment on the water when I get that far.

My "splash" is just weeks away. It's surprising how much time the final details have taken. A friend of mine who has built several full size airplanes told me of the saying, "when you're 90% done you still have 90% to do."

Bob
Bflat

Postby Wayne G on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:00 pm

I use a sailstop when reefing and also loose foot the reefed sail ( I don't tie around the boom). I haven't considered if this compromises performance compared to taking the reefing kringle down to the gooseneck, but as I mostly sail solo my priority is ease of sailing rather than performance. I have rigged the mainsail with a single line jiffy reefing setup, one for each reef, so when using a sailstop and standing in the companionway I can easily and quickly reef the mainsail and also shake it out without much fuss.
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Postby John in CC on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:03 pm

Bflat wrote: A friend of mine who has built several full size airplanes told me of the saying, "when you're 90% done you still have 90% to do."

Bob

My dad built a couple of full size airplanes and had the same saying. Sounds like a popular saying with those guys : ). He also built RC model airplanes and would never refer as a full size aircraft as a "real airplane". :D
John in CC

Postby Bflat on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:32 pm

As to reefing with the sail stop in, I've been less concerned with sail shape than I have been about putting lots of strain on the sail track from the reef outhaul. Getting the new tack down near the gooseneck would seem to better take that strain than a car on the sail track could. I am, however, glad to hear that my concern may be unfounded. Leaving the cars on the track would certainly make shaking out a reef that much easier. However, like I've said my boat hasn't seen water yet.
Bflat

Postby Wayne G on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:26 pm

I need to correct my previous post where I stated that I use a sail stop when reefing.
Was out this morning with the sail reefed and took the cars off the rail to allow the reefing crinkle come down to the boom.
Although this requires more effort when shaking out the reef,the sail shape was clearly better than when using a sail stop.
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Return to PocketShip Forum