Greetings from Houston - New Pocketship building underway!

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re: Greetings from Houston - New Pocketship building underway!

Postby Jarod on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:02 am

So I made my first progress!

I Chopped up some tabs and got the wood needed for the centerboard trunk. But along the way i was wondering what everyone is doing for storing the wood? Do people do it vertically or horizontally? IF vertical will this make the wood warp and curl as it sits there.

Currently i have only released what i need and a few extra pieces that would have been left on a piece of scrap.

I also signed up on blogspot and made a few picture progress pages, I even got some views! Only a few more steps to go and I'll have a booat! :lol:
Jarod

Postby ddemasie on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:11 pm

I hung my fiberglass on the wall using shelving supports and long rods.
Attachments
1 Fiberglass station - Compressed.jpg
1 Fiberglass station - Compressed.jpg (41.7 KiB) Viewed 4206 times
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Postby ddemasie on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:15 pm

For the wood - I inventoried all the wood pieces from my kit shipment and made sure they were all labeled - I stored them in a spare (temperature an humidity controlled) bedroom - mostly flat on the floor until I needed them. It took up the entire room for a long time, but I had the space.
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Postby mark48 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:04 pm

I asked CLC about wood storage and was encouraged to store the panels flat until needed in the building process. After inventorying, labeling, and re-stacking the panels in roughly the order of their use, I left all panels on the pallet until they were mostly used and I was ready to roll the hull. At that point, I added wheels to the pallet and converted that into a mobile build-platform.

Have fun,
Mark
mark48

Postby Jarod on Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:49 pm

So I did my first bits of fiber glass! Not to hard I say! Page 1 down, now i just have to wait for it to dry, then it will be my first taste of sanding. Tomorrow going to go out get some wood for the blocking of the centerboard trunk.
Jarod

Postby ZeroCool on Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:13 pm

Jared, I am a Houstonian also, getting ready to start my Pocketship. I'd love to get in touch sometime to see your progress and get some tips and pointers. The wife thinks this is crazy, but I am really looking forward to take on this on with my son. Message me if you want to chat.
ZeroCool

Previous

Return to PocketShip Forum