Lazarette cut-outs

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Lazarette cut-outs

Postby TassiePete on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:33 am

Hi,

I will be gluing down the cockpit deck in a few days time. Has anyone cut the openings for the hatches before gluing the deck into place ? Cleaning up any runs and drips would be much easier while the epoxy hasn't fully cured. I have glassed the underside of the deck panels already. They are therefore pretty stiff and should hold their shape (i.e. they shouldn't warp). Are there any other reasons for not putting these cut-outs in now?

Cheers,

Peter
TassiePete

Re: Lazarette cut-outs

Postby Shudoman on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:52 am

I didn't cut mine out ahead of time. I crawled head first under the cockpit to clean up the squeeze out. I won't say that was easy since I'm a little on the "larger" side, but it's doable. As long as everything is dry fitted well and the location of the cut out is right then it shouldn't be a problem.

Regards,
Bill
Shudoman

Postby TassiePete on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:53 pm

Thanks Bill. I will still have to crawl underneath the cockpit, but at least it will be easy to clean up the lazarettes. I will screw down the panels with temp screws and mark the outline of the backrest - I might even put a cardboard mock-up of the seat back in place. Fortunately, I have the hatch covers to line things up.
BTW, I like the bright finish of the top panels on your boat.

Cheers,

Peter
TassiePete

Postby Wayne G on Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:09 pm

IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG (53.22 KiB) Viewed 6450 times

I also didn't cut out these panels in advance as I wanted to have an uninterrupted work surface when completing the cockpit and and transom and figured it would be quite a hassle working around those gaping holes.
I framed the openings so when it came time to remove the panels I used a straight cut router bit with a bearing using the sub frame as a guide. Not sure if this was a good idea but I cut out the panels last after the cockpit was painted.
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Postby TassiePete on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:21 pm

The framing around the cut-outs is a very good idea - I might do that as well. The cut-outs on your picture seem very close to the edge of the footwell ...
I have a couple of hatch covers with slightly different dimensions to the spec Bomar kind. Mine are 14" x 24", i.e. about 1" narrower, but 1" longer, which will give be about 2" from the footwell to the edge of the cover lid ( the cut out will be another 1-1/8 from the edge ).

Cheers,

Peter
TassiePete

Postby riverron on Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:48 pm

I cut out some rough holes for the Lazarettes and will do the final holes later on in the build. I also glassed the bottom of the deckboard. I did that back in May and it is still fine. I see no problem with cutting holes to be able to reach in to clean up any epoxy.
riverron

Postby ddemasie on Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:55 pm

I did a lot of prep to the seats before I installed - it is much easier to work with the pieces when they are movable and not yet permanently anchored to the boat.

I measured and cut the lazarette covers using the lazarettes themselves to center, and cut precisely to shape. I also tested placing the lazarettes in both sides and did all the fine trimming. I also put in a 'backing around the edges so that there was plenty of wood depth for securing the covers tightly.

I also measured, fit and marked where the support pieces hit bottom of the seat panels, and painted the portions that ended up being the ceiling. Did not paint across the entire piece so the epoxy bonded well where the support pieces glue to the seat.
Attachments
Seats with Lazarette Cutout .jpg
Seats with Lazarette Cutout .jpg (42.04 KiB) Viewed 6383 times
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Postby TassiePete on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:13 am

Thanks for the comments. I have cut the holes today (pictures are in my blog). The deck panels have glass underneath, so I won't bother putting anything around the long edges of the cut-outs. The outsides of the flanges of the hatch covers are about 1" from the cleats that support the panels. I will glue a couple of sticks athwartships for extra support.
I agree that it is much easier to paint things while they sit on a trestle. I masked off the gluing areas of the forward deck and primed and painted ( 1 coat and sanded ) before installing the deck. I will do that with the undersides of the cockpit deck forward of bulkhead 8 as well. The lazarettes will stay as they are, i.e. three coats of epoxy over glass with the last coat left 'shiny'.

Cheers,

Peter
TassiePete

Return to PocketShip Forum