Mainsheet rigging question

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Mainsheet rigging question

Postby Wayne G on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:12 am

I wonder if any fellow PocketShipper's have rigged their mainsheet differently from that shown in the manual?
When sailing solo the method shown in the manual, where the sheet is fed through a hexaratchet block attached to the bridgedeck, works very nicely and allows really precise control but with two people in the boat it makes it awkward for the crew to move freely from one side to the other.
It seems that a common alternative mainsheet system shown below, is where a fiddle block is attached to the boom end and the mainsheet leads down from there to a fiddle block with (or without) a cam and becket (I find block and pulley terminology really confusing). In the PocketShip case the lower fiddle block would attach to the bridle.
IMG_0029.GIF
IMG_0029.GIF (4.85 KiB) Viewed 8148 times

Would be interested to hear if anyone has tried an alternative system.
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Re: Mainsheet rigging question

Postby TassiePete on Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:59 am

Hi Wayne,

I can see your point that people might get tangled in the mainsheet ... I don't think it is good idea to have the fiddle block and ratched attached to the bridle (if that is what you had in mind). I have sailed on boats that had configurations like the one in the sketch (which I nicked from the web). The last 'swivel block' should be mounted onto the transom, and the sheet will run back under the bridle. The only issue I can think of is that occasionally the sheet might end up on the wrong side under the tiller ...

Cheers,

Peter
Attachments
lga-msht.jpg
lga-msht.jpg (22.14 KiB) Viewed 8127 times
TassiePete

Postby mark48 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:14 am

Hi Wayne,

I'm curious about this post as well and watching for responses, especially hoping John Harris of CLC will weigh in. It seems like a good idea, to keep the main sheet and lines out of the way of the prime "crew area." If the lower block were to be mounted on the transom, would that area need to be reinforced somehow to take the load?

Mark
mark48

Postby TassiePete on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:49 am

I did a bit more thinking ... rather than attaching the main on the center of the transom, it might be ok to have a swivel block with a cleat on both sides of the boat and use an 'endless' sheet. Even if you have a very long sheet and start with equally long tails, at some point it you run out of sheet on one side. This is one of those things ... to even things out, head into the wind for a moment, un-cleat both sides and quickly pull a few yards through. BTW, the end of sheet on side you sit on is typically in the cleat, the other is the active sheet.

Cheers,

Peter
Attachments
PK_1.jpg
PK_1.jpg (17.01 KiB) Viewed 8073 times
TassiePete

Postby Wayne G on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:48 pm

I went ahead and rigged my boat with a Harken 2621 57mm fiddle block and Harken 2676 57mm fiddle ratchet block with becket and cam.
IMG_0841.JPG
IMG_0841.JPG (83 KiB) Viewed 7974 times

Tried it out earlier today in pretty stiff winds gusting up to 20 knots. I had both reefs in the mainsail but sailing was still pretty hairy.
I attached the lower block to the bridle as I didn't want to mess with the nice transom and also didn't want the main sheet to interfere with the tiller. I did shorten the bridle to accommodate the two blocks.
IMG_0843.JPG
IMG_0843.JPG (132.05 KiB) Viewed 8029 times

Controling the mainsail with this setup was straightforward even in today's gusty conditions and I definitely like the absence of the swivel block and main sheet obstruction on the bridge deck.
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Postby TassiePete on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:48 pm

Hi Wayne. Thanks for the info and the pictures. I really thought that attaching the block/cam to he bridle would not be the way to go, but you proved me wrong. This setup certainly has the least amount of bits and pieces (and holes to drill). Please let me know how this works in very light airs when the setup is not loaded.

Peter
TassiePete

Postby Wayne G on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:43 pm

Hey Peter,
Will do.
Just coming into the nice sailing season in Central Florida where temperatures and humidity are coming down and the wind gets fresher, so should be plenty of sailing through to next May.
I have removed the swivel block from the bridge deck but can easily replace it if it turns out the new configuration is not so good.
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Postby Wayne G on Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:51 pm

Update:
Have sailed at least 10 times since changing the rigging in winds ranging from very light (or non existent) to fresh with the mainsail reefed and am very happy with this layout.
Possibly (maybe) have more control with the original layout but for me the unobstructed cockpit is worth the compromise.

The Harken block I have has a "hexaratchet" gear which allows holding the sheet without any effort in the same hand as that holding the tiller which is a nice feature as it frees up your other hand.
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Postby TassiePete on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:23 am

Thanks for the update. It is good hear that things worked out well. I will start off with the main sheet going from the boom to a block on the bridle, back up to the block on the boom and then down to a block on the transom (3:1). There is already a 'strong point' for the block fixed to the transom skirt.
TassiePete

Postby slash2 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:15 pm

I’m nowhere near having to decide on this, but I was out on a friends Macgregor 22 and I liked his main sheet setup . It’s like:

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr25 ... G_3116.jpg

Basically it moves all the main sheet rigging to the stern and boom end. What I especially like is that it provides unobstructed room for a Bimini. On the Pocketship it (the Bimini) could even be attached to the boom gallows. The only odd thing is that the sheet end always comes from the port side which is a bit strange on an opposite tack, but it works. Could this work on the Pocketship?
Steve Sawtelle
slash2

Return to PocketShip Forum