Looking for people building PocketShip in Australia

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Looking for people building PocketShip in Australia

Postby omegaman on Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:17 am

Hi all,
Is there anyone currently building PocketShip in Australia?

Happy to talk to all as I am in Brisbane and building PocketShip from the plans.

Cheers
Frank
omegaman

Re: Looking for people building PocketShip in Australia

Postby riverron on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:03 am

Welcome Frank! There is a lot of great knowledge out here and people willing to share. I sure have used/needed it!

TassiePete is a new builder from Australia. I am sure he will be chiming in.

His blog is https://pocketshipkermadec.wordpress.com/

Keep us posted on your progress!

thanks
riverron

Postby omegaman on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:24 pm

Hi Riverron,

Thanks for the welcome. Yes I have made contact with TassiePete, who provided some useful ideas.

I am currently building PocketShip from the plans and can I say it is not that hard including scarfing.

Please Note:
Anyone building from the plans or considering it using metric measurements need to check them against the imperial measurements as I have discovered a couple of errors. For example pages 37 and 40 of the manual states 1" (50mm) which should read 1" (25mm). The other error is in the manual and in the plans regarding the nose block the plans state 2-1/4" x 4-1/4" x 18" timber (57mm x 108mm x 457mm) and the manual states 2-1/4" x 4-3/4" x 18" timber (57mm x 121mm x 457mm) and the full size drawing plan displays the the nose block as being 4- 3/4" (121mm).

These are only a couple of errors I have found and I use the old adage of measure twice cut once. Otherwise I consider the plans and manual very easy to read and use.

Cheers
omegaman

Postby Hooky on Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:54 am

Hi Frank,
My name is Terry, I Have purchased plans and intend to commence building early next year. I live at Gerringong on the south coast of NSW.
I have already built a 22' timber trailer sailor and done up a few boats over the years.
I plan to retire next year and Pocketship will be my retirement project and the boat to teach my grandkids to sail on.
Looking forward to hearing about your progress and seeing any pics of your build.
Cheers mate
Terry
Hooky

Postby omegaman on Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:07 am

Hi Terry,

Good to see that there are a number of Aussies that appreciate the PocketShip as I do.
Have fun building it as I have enjoyed the journey so far.

Cheers
Frank
omegaman

Postby devlinfa on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi Frank,

I have completed contraction of my Pocketship in Docklands wooden boat centre in Melbourne.
Feel free to contact me on 0400053166 or [email protected]

Cheers,
Fred Devlin
devlinfa

Return to PocketShip Forum